Work Experience- email/letter help.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm at university in second year and id like to find some form of work experience, I want to send emails/letters to employers asking if I could be considered for work experience/shadowing to give me more of an insight in the field and to assist developing my skills for my future career.

How could I begin the email/letter what can i say to make it sound professional?

Any guidance please? Thank you so much.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
“Dear recruiting officer” (or whatever title is applicable)

“I am interested in:” say what you want

“ I am “ say what you are

“This would help me because” say how it why you want it

“Thank you, if I am considered “ say thankyou if it possible to be considered and re-iterate that you are doing the voluntarily because of “enter why” (a simple, conclusive version of the last paragraph - the main points consicely)
tipexmaster25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dear sir/madam is a pretty standard way of getting it going. Try not to stress too much about how the first couple of words or anything sounds- just don't waffle and get your aims across. Write what you're studying, what your goals are in the future, and why you think the work experience at that particular company will benefit you specifically.
It sounds particularly good if you maybe make it specific to the company- think if you were the recruitment team reading it, would you think you've been sent a general letter which has been sent out to 5 other places as well? Maybe just a sentence or two, but for example if they've done something really cool that you're interested in, maybe some sort of recent project? Or have they got a really good training scheme that you like the look of which will help you grow your skills? Either way, make sure you come across enthusiastic for that in particular.

My personal favourite way to end it is "I look forward to hearing from you" :P
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm at university in second year and id like to find some form of work experience, I want to send emails/letters to employers asking if I could be considered for work experience/shadowing to give me more of an insight in the field and to assist developing my skills for my future career.

How could I begin the email/letter what can i say to make it sound professional?

Any guidance please? Thank you so much.
I had to do a lot of work experience to get into uni. A lot of people dont reply to emails first time. So in addition to the other advice people have given I would email initially. Then a week later send a follow up and if there is no reply then a week after that I would phone them up to follow up. This does depend on the career. For big corporations or banks or something similar I would see if they have programmes for this but for smaller businesses a follow up email shows inititive
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
“Dear recruiting officer” (or whatever title is applicable)

“I am interested in:” say what you want

“ I am “ say what you are

“This would help me because” say how it why you want it

“Thank you, if I am considered “ say thankyou if it possible to be considered and re-iterate that you are doing the voluntarily because of “enter why” (a simple, conclusive version of the last paragraph - the main points consicely)
No no no no! Sorry to diss your response but NEVER put dear recruiting officer! I say this as a hirer and hiree. Find out the name of the person who will be considering your application or effectively be your boss on work experience and address it directly to them as Mr X or Ms X (equally never put Dear Sir/Madam. Straight in the bin.)
Split the letter into two paragraphs - one to say why you want to work for them and how great they are and one to talk about your skills and how great you are (and why you'd be perfect to work for them). I know it sounds braggy but trust me, it works!
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No no no no! Sorry to diss your response but NEVER put dear recruiting officer! I say this as a hirer and hiree. Find out the name of the person who will be considering your application or effectively be your boss on work experience and address it directly to them as Mr X or Ms X (equally never put Dear Sir/Madam. Straight in the bin.)
Split the letter into two paragraphs - one to say why you want to work for them and how great they are and one to talk about your skills and how great you are (and why you'd be perfect to work for them). I know it sounds braggy but trust me, it works!
No worries, take this advice, i can see the logic so I agree with her/him.

I’ve even screenshotted it for myself!
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
Dear sir/madam is a pretty standard way of getting it going. Try not to stress too much about how the first couple of words or anything sounds- just don't waffle and get your aims across. Write what you're studying, what your goals are in the future, and why you think the work experience at that particular company will benefit you specifically.
It sounds particularly good if you maybe make it specific to the company- think if you were the recruitment team reading it, would you think you've been sent a general letter which has been sent out to 5 other places as well? Maybe just a sentence or two, but for example if they've done something really cool that you're interested in, maybe some sort of recent project? Or have they got a really good training scheme that you like the look of which will help you grow your skills? Either way, make sure you come across enthusiastic for that in particular.

My personal favourite way to end it is "I look forward to hearing from you" :P
Absolutely show knowledge of what they do and showpiece projects, agreed. And adapt letters for different employers accordingly rather than sending one generic letter.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
No worries, take this advice, i can see the logic so I agree with her/him.

I’ve even screenshotted it for myself!
You're welcome! Learnt the hard way!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.37%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.06%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (374)
49.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise