KeenBean27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

I’ve just started my first year of GEM at Swansea (and absolutely loving it!), one year after graduating from a degree in Philosophy.

I put together a little informal pdf about my experience of applying to GEM, including how the finances work, considerations about when to apply, and an overview of the UCAT and GAMSAT. Since there are only seven universities in the U.K. that will consider arts students for their GEM programmes, I also included a summary of their entry requirements.

I hope someone finds it useful - I know the whole process can be a bit confusing! Feel free to share it, and let me know if it’s any help 😊 I’ll also check back on this thread occasionally in case anyone has questions I can help with!

Good luck!

Lucy
Attached files
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by KeenBean27)
Hi everyone!

I’ve just started my first year of GEM at Swansea (and absolutely loving it!), one year after graduating from a degree in Philosophy.

I put together a little informal pdf about my experience of applying to GEM, including how the finances work, considerations about when to apply, and an overview of the UCAT and GAMSAT. Since there are only seven universities in the U.K. that will consider arts students for their GEM programmes, I also included a summary of their entry requirements.

I hope someone finds it useful - I know the whole process can be a bit confusing! Feel free to share it, and let me know if it’s any help 😊 I’ll also check back on this thread occasionally in case anyone has questions I can help with!

Good luck!

Lucy
Looks really good, :ta: for doing this!
jsmith97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is so useful! Thank you for creating it! Best of luck at Swansea! It’s one of my choices so I might end up there too!
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nice short guide. Congratulations on getting into Swansea, it was my top choice and I ended up on the waiting list. I would have held out but only got my Warwick offer in June/July so I was getting pretty desperate by then and took it rather than wait any longer for Swansea. Hope you are enjoying it there!

Did you do science A-levels? As 1 month GAMSAT prep doesn't seem like very much, but I believe the exam is getting less recall based and more interpretation. I did 4-6 months of GAMSAT prep (probably more than my med school exams...) and still only scraped the interviews I got.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nice guide!

I also took much longer to prepare for GAMSAT S3 (low intensity prep for 9 months). But maybe doing a course would cut it down a lot, and I could have done less and still got interviews.

I don't know if you're wanting to update the guide as things change, but Southampton have scrapped their A level requirements this year (they may have other requirements, I haven't checked myself) and arts grads can apply to QMUL if they have science A levels.
KeenBean27
Rep:
?
I did do science A-levels, sorry probably should've mentioned that! I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and RS for A-level. So when I prepped for the GAMSAT the first thing I did was to through my CGP revision guides I'd kept from my A-levels, did some practice questions from them too (this took maybe 10 days of consistent studying).
I'd heard that the GAMSAT has A-level type physics questions too, and for that I used the Crash Course physics playlist and made notes and flashcards. I also watched their biology and chemistry playlists because it was more interesting than just reading a textbook! Whenever I came across something new I made a note of it too.Organic chemistry was the big difficulty for me, and I cannot praise the GAMSAT prep course enough for helping me with that. Even though it was very expensive, it was so so helpful.
I didn't do as much prep for sections 1 and 2, just practiced writing a few essays within the time limit and did one whole GAMSAT past paper as a little mock for myself.

Honestly the best advice I can give you when it comes to the GAMSAT is to really focus on prepping for section 3, and also to tell you that in the exam itself you WILL run out of time so be prepared for that, and don't worry about just guessing the answers to questions that will eat up your time even more.
I scored in the 85th percentile in the end and I was really surprised by that, but I do think that was mostly because I was prepared for how fast section 3 would be.
KeenBean27
Rep:
?
(Original post by jzdzm)
Nice guide!

I also took much longer to prepare for GAMSAT S3 (low intensity prep for 9 months). But maybe doing a course would cut it down a lot, and I could have done less and still got interviews.

I don't know if you're wanting to update the guide as things change, but Southampton have scrapped their A level requirements this year (they may have other requirements, I haven't checked myself) and arts grads can apply to QMUL if they have science A levels.
Thanks!
Yeah if you have the money, I would recommend it - but treat it as a revision crash course that is definitely worth prepping for!

I don't intend to update the guide, but I might see if I can upload an editable version so that other people can update it?
Angelicus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for this guide! It's very helpful for someone whose just starting to think about GEM. There seems to be a decent amount of information about, but it's all so widely spread about that i'm finding it hard to put together the relevant information.

So thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads