gorilla_08
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Why dont they convert the temperature change into kelvin?
gorilla_08
Rep:
?
Name:  z.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  36.5 KBName:  zz.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  84.7 KBI understand the working out and everything, but dont understand why they didnt convert temperature change into kevlin and sub the change of temperature (in kelvin) into equations
Last edited by gorilla_08; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gorilla_08)
I understand the working out and everything, but dont understand why they didnt convert temperature change into kevlin and sub the change of temperature (in kelvin) into equations
Because its just not necessary. They are interested in the change of temperature not the value. Its just adding in a step for no reason.
gorilla_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Because its just not necessary. They are interested in the change of temperature not the value. Its just adding in a step for no reason.
how can the units of the final answer be kelvin, when they use degree celcius in the calculations
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gorilla_08)
how can the units of the final answer be kelvin, when they use degree celcius in the calculations
because the difference between 0 to 1 celsius is equal to the difference between 0 to 1 kelvin.

If you mentally plot them on a cartesian plane they have the same gradient just a difference Y-intercept (basically one is calibrated to the freezing point of water, the other is calibrated to absolute zero but the rate of change is the same.
Smokestar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Basically they both have the same scale. They both go up by the same amount but are displaced by 273.15 or 273.
They dont need to be converted when calculating specific heat capacity and latent heat etc. Kelvin is only significant when the equations got to do with ideal gas laws and mean kinetic energy etc as you cant be using negative Celsius etc as that just messes the equations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads