Am I too old for the uni experience?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was never sure what I wanted to do after college but at the time, university didnt really appeal to me as it felt like too big a step and I didnt have the social and academic confidence to so I just started working.

I'm 33 now and want a change of career that will require a degree. Open university and part time degrees dont appeal to me as they will take too long and eat too much into the 35 or so years I have left til I retire. They also wont provide the social life that comes with going to university and my social life is pretty dead atm..

If I were to go to uni next year, would I fit in and still have a decent social life with the other younger students?
Lazarevic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was never sure what I wanted to do after college but at the time, university didnt really appeal to me as it felt like too big a step and I didnt have the social and academic confidence to so I just started working.

I'm 33 now and want a change of career that will require a degree. Open university and part time degrees dont appeal to me as they will take too long and eat too much into the 35 or so years I have left til I retire. They also wont provide the social life that comes with going to university and my social life is pretty dead atm..

If I were to go to uni next year, would I fit in and still have a decent social life with the other younger students?
I think they’ll see you as too old since you’ll be nearly double their age. Not sure why you’d want to hang out with 18 year olds anyway but the whole ‘social life for young people’ idea shouldn’t be your motivation for going to university
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey!

You should definitely go to uni if that's what you're leaning towards and you think it would improve your lifestyle

My course has a group of mature students who seem to sit together and get along together - so if there were other mature students you could always get along with them
Most unis will also have a society for mature students so you could go to that and make friends that way!

I wouldn't say that you would necessarily fit in with students straight out of 6th form etc but don't let this put you off as plenty of mature students go to uni and get their degrees!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads