The Student Room Group

Was this too risky? (UCAS University Choices)

I've recently sent off my UCAS Application, so I can't change anything about my choices. I want to study Economics, and the 5 universities I chose were Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bath & Warwick.

Cambridge is A*A*A (though I believe whether I get in or not is more dependent on my ECAA & interview), whilst LSE, UCL and Warwick are A*AA. Bath is usually A*AA, but as I do 4 A Levels & an EPQ, I think that if I get an offer, I'll get the alternative offer of AAA.

I was just wondering - given that all these universities are in the Top 10 for Economics in the UK therefore are likely to be insanely competitive, was it foolish of me to apply to them? I feel like I've put all my eggs in one basket. My predicted grades are fine, A*A*A (Economics, Chem, FM respectively) + an A* for my EPQ + an A* in Mathematics which I got last year as I sat the exam at the end of Y12. But I'm worried that my personal statement wasn't good enough. I feel like I included too much critical thinking and not enough supercurriculars/ did not explicitly state why I wanted to study Economics at university, other than just saying I've developed a passion in it. I'm also insanely worried that the exams will be cancelled & that I may not meet my predicted grades..

I was just wondering; do you guys think it was foolish for me to apply where I did? I'm sorry if this thread sounds super whiny, or if I've come across that way - I genuinely just feel so anxious about it and haven't been able to stop worrying.
Reply 1
Your choices are fine, it isn’t incredibly uncommon for an applicants lowest offer to be AAA. In terms of your other anxieties, I think they’re normal; I wouldn’t fret too much about your PS because it’s sent and was probably absolutely fine (easier said than done, I know). I am the same way about COVID, I think all students are a bit on edge right now - for some that’s motivating them to perform well in mocks and class tests, for others not so much.

Ultimately I think you have fantastic predictions/achieved grades so you’re definitely not overestimating yourself, so try to have a little more faith in your own ability.
I really, really would've encouraged a back-up that's considered genuinely good but somewhat easier to get into. Lancaster or Notts would have been OK. It's just that - especially with the current pandemic, you can never really tell how things are going to go... Not sure if possible, but I'd consider swapping LSE or UCL. But, I'm always cautious and have learned to put my eggs in various baskets so as not to ever be disappointed with the outcome. I've all too well and often experienced the unexpected; you never think it's going to happen to you, but sometimes it just does.

In any case, do whatever you're happy with. Clearing/Adjustment are always options in the future too.
Reply 3
Original post by hajima
Your choices are fine, it isn’t incredibly uncommon for an applicants lowest offer to be AAA. In terms of your other anxieties, I think they’re normal; I wouldn’t fret too much about your PS because it’s sent and was probably absolutely fine (easier said than done, I know). I am the same way about COVID, I think all students are a bit on edge right now - for some that’s motivating them to perform well in mocks and class tests, for others not so much.

Ultimately I think you have fantastic predictions/achieved grades so you’re definitely not overestimating yourself, so try to have a little more faith in your own ability.

Thank you so much for this :smile: I'm trying to motivate myself to perform well in class tests (and my mocks, when they come around) but I do find it hard at times because though my Economics performance has been a stable A* throughout sixth form, my chemistry was quite rocky at the start (B); I managed ot work up to an A by the end of Y12 and since the start of Y13, I've been studying hard to ensure that I only get A*'s.. Same for Further Mathematics, I started off rocky with some tests even at 50%, but I've recently started trying a lot harder. Part of me feels helpless, as if my past will weigh down my grade if exams were to be cancelled, but I also acknowledge that compared to last year's Y13s, we're in a much better place as we know that there is a possibility that exams may be cancelled, so we know to try harder in class tests & mocks. I'll try to have more faith in myself; I hope that your uni application goes smoothly & well (if you're applying this year). Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
I really, really would've encouraged a back-up that's considered genuinely good but somewhat easier to get into. Lancaster or Notts would have been OK. It's just that - especially with the current pandemic, you can never really tell how things are going to go... Not sure if possible, but I'd consider swapping LSE or UCL. But, I'm always cautious and have learned to put my eggs in various baskets so as not to ever be disappointed with the outcome. I've all too well and often experienced the unexpected; you never think it's going to happen to you, but sometimes it just does.

In any case, do whatever you're happy with. Clearing/Adjustment are always options in the future too.

I was considering Nottingham as my sibling goes there, but the standard entry requirements are A*AA (same for Lancaster & Bristol), so I went with Bath as they have the alternative offer of AAA.. I can't really swap anything out now as I've already sent off my application - which is why I'm so anxious hahah because things are now permanent; I can't change anything. But thank you for your reply & I do agree with you - I think that when I sent off my application, I was so certain that exams were going to happen but obviously over the past two weeks, the whole Covid situation has really escalated so now I'm wishing that I'd put my eggs in various baskets.. But I guess what's done is done; I can't do anything except sit back and hope for the best. But you're right - Clearing & Adjustment are definitely future options.. That's definitely reassuring :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've recently sent off my UCAS Application, so I can't change anything about my choices. I want to study Economics, and the 5 universities I chose were Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bath & Warwick.

Cambridge is A*A*A (though I believe whether I get in or not is more dependent on my ECAA & interview), whilst LSE, UCL and Warwick are A*AA. Bath is usually A*AA, but as I do 4 A Levels & an EPQ, I think that if I get an offer, I'll get the alternative offer of AAA.

I was just wondering - given that all these universities are in the Top 10 for Economics in the UK therefore are likely to be insanely competitive, was it foolish of me to apply to them? I feel like I've put all my eggs in one basket. My predicted grades are fine, A*A*A (Economics, Chem, FM respectively) + an A* for my EPQ + an A* in Mathematics which I got last year as I sat the exam at the end of Y12. But I'm worried that my personal statement wasn't good enough. I feel like I included too much critical thinking and not enough supercurriculars/ did not explicitly state why I wanted to study Economics at university, other than just saying I've developed a passion in it. I'm also insanely worried that the exams will be cancelled & that I may not meet my predicted grades..

I was just wondering; do you guys think it was foolish for me to apply where I did? I'm sorry if this thread sounds super whiny, or if I've come across that way - I genuinely just feel so anxious about it and haven't been able to stop worrying.

You can change your choices within 14 days:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

Should you? That's up to you, but I wouldn't in your position.
Omg I'm not even kidding i have the exact same situation as you right now!! I just sent my application off (for BSc Economics) a week ago for Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Bath and im soooo scared ive gone too ambitious. I've read stuff on the student room about someone getting into bath with AABB though so it reassured me a bit. Hopefully we'll be ok, I have predicted grades A* (Maths) A* (FM) A* (Econ) and A (Physics). I'm getting really stressed hearing my peers get offers from their safer choices but honestly we only get to apply to 5 and if it doesn't go as planned clearing is always an option and we can probably still get a great uni in that and I don't think its worth applying to a uni you dont reallllly want to go to as the choices r so limited! Fingers crossed everything goes well, good luck! <3
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi, just reading this 2 years later and am really curious what happened in the end? Which did you get into, what were your offers and what were your final grades?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending