The Student Room Group

Can’t afford laptop to access my course

I am a second year university student in London in the UK. The old laptop I was using last year has finally died and I cannot afford to buy a new one, even on credit, as I have £97 pounds to get me through the next month. I’ve been denied an overdraft by my bank and the university has told me I’m not eligible for financial assistance from them to help me buy one. I cannot work at the minute as I am struggling with an eating disorder. My entire course is online and I’m currently trying to attend seminars and write essays on my phone. If anyone knows any schemes or ways I could get a free or heavily subsidised laptop I’d be very grateful. Thank you.
Original post by Bikeboy666
I am a second year university student in London in the UK. The old laptop I was using last year has finally died and I cannot afford to buy a new one, even on credit, as I have £97 pounds to get me through the next month. I’ve been denied an overdraft by my bank and the university has told me I’m not eligible for financial assistance from them to help me buy one. I cannot work at the minute as I am struggling with an eating disorder. My entire course is online and I’m currently trying to attend seminars and write essays on my phone. If anyone knows any schemes or ways I could get a free or heavily subsidised laptop I’d be very grateful. Thank you.

Why dont you have any money?
Are you an EU student?
Did you get min loan?
Are you a masters student?

Something is missing.

Sometimes universities lend people laptops, have you checked with the library?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why dont you have any money?
Are you an EU student?
Did you get min loan?
Are you a masters student?

Something is missing.

Sometimes universities lend people laptops, have you checked with the library?

I don’t have any money as I get the minimum loan despite no help from my parents as we have a bad relationship. The library is not operating properly due to covid so I cannot borrow one from them.
I don’t have any money as I get the minimum loan despite no help from my parents as we have a bad relationship. The library is not operating properly due to covid so I cannot borrow one from them.

Are you estranged/ not living at home?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Are you estranged/ not living at home?

I am not living at home however I have some contact with my mother in the past year so ucas will not count me as an independent student despite the fact I am one
The old laptop I was using last year has finally died

Can you clarify what the issue is? It may be possible to repair or at least get working until you can sort a replacement.
I am not living at home however I have some contact with my mother in the past year so ucas will not count me as an independent student despite the fact I am one

You should have gone for estranged..

You should still talk to standalone and see if they have any ideas. Am sure ive talked to you before. There might be some educational trusts.
Reply 7

Can I ask which Uni you are at?
Reply 8
Original post by AcseI
Can you clarify what the issue is? It may be possible to repair or at least get working until you can sort a replacement.

It’s been slowly dying for a while, wouldn’t update to new software, incredibly slow and wouldn’t hold more than 2 hours charge. The battery part at the bottom started to swell and it’s now not turning on even when plugged in. I’ve had the laptop 4 years and it was second hand when I got it so I’m honestly not surprised it’s past it’s best
Reply 9

I'm really surprised the uni have said they can't help.
Have you spoken to them recently? Do they know your financial position in detail? Have you explained to your lecturers/tutors that you are trying to complete assignments on your phone? They would be able to support your request to the uni
Reply 10
Original post by 2500_2
I'm really surprised the uni have said they can't help.
Have you spoken to them recently? Do they know your financial position in detail? Have you explained to your lecturers/tutors that you are trying to complete assignments on your phone? They would be able to support your request to the uni

Hey

Yes I’ve contacted them about the possibloty of borrowing one but am waiting for them to reply to my email. It said on the autoresponse they are taking longer to get through student enquiries so I have no idea how long I will have to wait . Just wondered if anyone on here had any other ideas
Reply 11
Original post by RFH1207
Can I ask which Uni you are at?

Queen Mary
It’s been slowly dying for a while, wouldn’t update to new software, incredibly slow and wouldn’t hold more than 2 hours charge. The battery part at the bottom started to swell and it’s now not turning on even when plugged in. I’ve had the laptop 4 years and it was second hand when I got it so I’m honestly not surprised it’s past it’s best

It's possible that you may be able to get it into a working condition. If the battery is swelling then absolutely avoid using it as that's a serious fire hazard. However if you can remove the battery you may still be able to use the laptop off mains power, since many laptops will happily run without the battery providing they're getting power. If you're having issues turning it on even when plugged in that's probably a power delivery issue, and may not be something you can fix yourself. Difficult to say without seeing in person.

In terms of the more general issues, that sounds like a "back up all your data and reinstall the OS" situation. No idea what specs you've got, but that might be enough to at least get something workable on a temporary basis. But generally I'd say the above advice of contacting your uni is the best you can go for. In the mean time do you live with anyone that might allow you to borrow their laptop? Even if just temporarily so you'll have a better time writing up assignments.

You've mentioned above about emailing your uni, you might be better off phoning and trying to speak with someone directly.
Reply 13
Queen Mary

I really would call them if you can - 020 7882 5079 - 9am to 5pm weekdays
They have both a hardship fund (explain your near-estranged situation) and a laptop scheme.
Reply 14
Get some advice from SU Welfare Officer. Try a wanted post on a Freegle site. See if a relative or friend has an unused one. Visit a second hand computer shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending