The Student Room Group

Ticker or Carrot Car insurance?

So I am looking to buy a car very soon and have been looking at the insurance quotes for a volkswagen polo 1.4. Consistently Carrot car insurance has come up as being the cheapest at around 1.2k annual or 1.3k monthly (with blackbox).
However I've read a lot of negative reviews about their policy and how people are saying they have been threatened to get cancelled many times. Ticker on the other hand has less reviews but more positive ones and it seems like they are less strict about your driving. Their quote was 1.4k annually or 1.6k if you pay monthly. Has anyone had experience with any of them and if so how was it?
Reply 1
Original post by 31shotscrazy
So I am looking to buy a car very soon and have been looking at the insurance quotes for a volkswagen polo 1.4. Consistently Carrot car insurance has come up as being the cheapest at around 1.2k annual or 1.3k monthly (with blackbox).
However I've read a lot of negative reviews about their policy and how people are saying they have been threatened to get cancelled many times. Ticker on the other hand has less reviews but more positive ones and it seems like they are less strict about your driving. Their quote was 1.4k annually or 1.6k if you pay monthly. Has anyone had experience with any of them and if so how was it?

Alternatively.. neither?
I got deal with Admiral (Bell I think) for about £900 with black box (and no no-claims history). It had terrible reviews online but decided to go for it as everyone else was v expensive. Been good so far, touch wood (they keep sending me emails to tell me how great my driving is! :biggrin:) Try moneysupermarket.com and comparethemarket.com to shop around. Also once someone comes out cheapest, ring them and haggle, most will offer better discounts and throw in extras!
Bear in mind anyone with black box policy is going to be pretty strict about your driving but on the plus side, it makes you more conscientious on the road.
Reply 3
Original post by Yakety Yak
it makes you more conscientious on the road.

Or more of a danger... very debatable!
Original post by IWMTom
Alternatively.. neither?

Yes but I cannot afford £2600 for a no blackbox insurance, thats way too much for me. Just gonna bite the bullet for the first year then second I will go without blackbox. Insurance companies are really scamming us for our money smh.
Reply 5
Yes but I cannot afford £2600 for a no blackbox insurance, thats way too much for me. Just gonna bite the bullet for the first year then second I will go without blackbox. Insurance companies are really scamming us for our money smh.

Just pick a different car whereby you're able to obtain non telematics insurance at a reasonable price?
Original post by IWMTom
Just pick a different car whereby you're able to obtain non telematics insurance at a reasonable price?

Any suggestions?
Reply 7

I'd go for ticker - they're pretty lenient, and you can disconnect your phone from the black box if you wish to do something illegal. I don't condone this, of course; but it's possible

Also, have a look at ingenie if you can, I'm with them and they're great: incredibly lenient
Original post by roo02
I'd go for ticker - they're pretty lenient, and you can disconnect your phone from the black box if you wish to do something illegal. I don't condone this, of course; but it's possible

Also, have a look at ingenie if you can, I'm with them and they're great: incredibly lenient

okay thanks alot mate, I've decided to go with ticker, just gotta get my car now :smile:. How much you paying for ingenie btw? If you dont want to answer its fine.
Original post by IWMTom
Or more of a danger... very debatable!

How so? It monitors you every time you drive.
Reply 10
Original post by Yakety Yak
How so? It monitors you every time you drive.

Exactly. Results in many young inexperienced drivers spending more time looking at their speedo than the road, often driving drastically under the speed limit out of fear of the box's sanctions.
Reply 11

Hi, I took my first year insurance out with Ticker. I would say they are great and its really easy to remain in the high score area. Had no problems with this company at all and they have great in chat customer service if ever needed. However, I'm at switching to carrot for my second year due to my renewal quote from ticker being higher than carrot, but from my experience Ticker was great and sad to switch :smile:
Original post by Tello
Hi, I took my first year insurance out with Ticker. I would say they are great and its really easy to remain in the high score area. Had no problems with this company at all and they have great in chat customer service if ever needed. However, I'm at switching to carrot for my second year due to my renewal quote from ticker being higher than carrot, but from my experience Ticker was great and sad to switch :smile:

Thats good to here! Good luck on the switch, just one thing though, be wary of carrot, before you take out the insurance look at the reviews on trust pilot, then make up your mind.
Reply 13
Thats good to here! Good luck on the switch, just one thing though, be wary of carrot, before you take out the insurance look at the reviews on trust pilot, then make up your mind.

Okay thanks, I will have a look :smile:
Reply 14
okay thanks alot mate, I've decided to go with ticker, just gotta get my car now :smile:. How much you paying for ingenie btw? If you dont want to answer its fine.

Don't mind at all! Am currently paying 1.2k for a 1.4 renault modus with 13000 miles on the policy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending