The Student Room Group

Student maintenance and staying in hotels?? HELP!!

Hello, I’ve decided to essentially commute to uni but stay over in a hotel for 4 nights a week as it works out cheaper than paying for student accommodation. Am I still entitled to the same maintenance loan as living away from home or would I be classed as living with my parents? Thanks
Original post by Lazarev23
Hello, I’ve decided to essentially commute to uni but stay over in a hotel for 4 nights a week as it works out cheaper than paying for student accommodation. Am I still entitled to the same maintenance loan as living away from home or would I be classed as living with my parents? Thanks

If you're not paying for student accommodation, then you are living at home, despite the fact you aren't really. However, this could be worth calling up student finance and asking, though I doubt they'd be lenient.
Original post by DoNotMove
If you're not paying for student accommodation, then you are living at home, despite the fact you aren't really. However, this could be worth calling up student finance and asking, though I doubt they'd be lenient.

I’m in a similar position. Why would they not be lenient? It’s still paying to live away from home with all the associated costs.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in a similar position. Why would they not be lenient? It’s still paying to live away from home with all the associated costs.

Because it's student finance, and they're a pain to work with - I knew someone who talked to one of their parents once in a 12-month period and thus wasn't considered estranged, and got less funding.
if you aren’t living at uni you wont get the money.
Original post by DoNotMove
Because it's student finance, and they're a pain to work with - I knew someone who talked to one of their parents once in a 12-month period and thus wasn't considered estranged, and got less funding.

Oh gosh that’s awful, I hope things worked out for your friend. I’m considering not telling them about where I live as I couldn’t afford to do it without the maintenance money. I do feel a little guilty but I know people who have lied about their household income etc. Whereas I only get the minimum loan anyway! (For living away from home in London so approx. £6k a year)
Original post by MadameRazz
if you aren’t living at uni you wont get the money.

I’m also in the this position but I stay at a B&B every night. Would this still not count as living at the uni?
Oh gosh that’s awful, I hope things worked out for your friend. I’m considering not telling them about where I live as I couldn’t afford to do it without the maintenance money. I do feel a little guilty but I know people who have lied about their household income etc. Whereas I only get the minimum loan anyway! (For living away from home in London so approx. £6k a year)

it’s not worth it. there’s a chance they’ll ask you for proof of where you’re living during the year and if you dont provide them proof you’re living at uni they’ll take the money from you.
I’m also in the this position but I stay at a B&B every night. Would this still not count as living at the uni?

i dont think so. i could be wrong, but you’re technically not paying rent and therefore not “living” there.
Reply 9
Yes, you can apply for the higher level of maintenance loan for "living away from home" as you will spend the majority of term time away from home.
Original post by MadameRazz
i dont think so. i could be wrong, but you’re technically not paying rent and therefore not “living” there.

Ok, thank you for taking the time to respond. I do know someone who lives at the parents of her boyfriend’s house and does receive the ‘living away from home’ allowance. I suppose she does have a term time address though. I’ll probably give them a phone call to clarify this
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, you can apply for the higher level of maintenance loan for "living away from home" as you will spend the majority of term time away from home.

Ah, I see. And it doesn’t matter that I don’t have a term time address? (I haven’t needed to enter this anywhere tbh)
Reply 12
Ah, I see. And it doesn’t matter that I don’t have a term time address? (I haven’t needed to enter this anywhere tbh)

Nope.

You never need to give it, or provide evidence of it.
Original post by IWMTom
Nope.

You never need to give it, or provide evidence of it.

Ah, perfect. That’s a relief!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending