Can you have coronavirus permanently?

Watch
chopingirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Like aids for instance. I am thinking particularly about the asymptomatic people who aren't suffering with it and won't die from it, could they just continue carrying it for their rest of their life?
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
As far as I know there is no evidence for this being the case, the basic characteristics of the virus shouldn't allow that to happen in anybody with a healthy immune system. One of the main reasons HIV remains in the body is because it is constantly undergoing rapid mutation and the immune system simply can't keep up with these changes, it will also attach itself to certain types of immune cells, meaning the immune system is effectively tricked into attacking itself. Neither of these traits is true of Coronavirus.
chopingirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Wōden)
As far as I know there is no evidence for this being the case, the basic characteristics of the virus shouldn't allow that to happen in anybody with a healthy immune system. One of the main reasons HIV remains in the body is because it is constantly undergoing rapid mutation and the immune system simply can't keep up with these changes, it will also attach itself to certain types of immune cells, meaning the immune system is effectively tricked into attacking itself. Neither of these traits is true of Coronavirus.
ok thanks for the info, this makes sense
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
As in, could someone with AIDS keep covid in them for a long time? Dunno, maybe. I'm not aware of any such cases though.

The consequences of severe covid, for example the kidney failure and lung scarring, can of course be permanent though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads