The Student Room Group

Can an employer change your shift without notifying you?

I have worked for a company for 2 years and have recently relocated to a store in the city due to moving to University. Upon working here, i was called to say i had not turned up for a shift (Sunday). When i checked the picture of the rota which i had took on the Friday, i was not scheduled in that day. My new manager then notified me that a change had been made to the rota and that it was my responsibility to have checked to see if any changes were to have been made. I didn’t think and employer could change your shift without notifying you, hence why i didn’t turn up? And on top of that with less than 24 hours notice? Immediately after this incident i unfortunately had to go into a 14 day isolation and haven’t had a chance to speak to my more senior manger. I am going to schedule a meeting with her so we can discuss company policy as in my previous store i was always ASKED if i was even available for a shift change before it was put on the rota. For all i know she could totally reassure me and i have nothing to worry about however I have let it totally work me up and have been constantly worrying that i am going to have to spend my whole life ringing and checking for shift changes as i was told it’s my responsibility by one of the other managers. I just want to know what my legal rights are in this situation? I was never issued a copy of my contract so i can’t even check that :frown:
well common sense says they need to have some way of notifying you of your shifts and changes - just putting them up on a board where you might not see if you are in once a week seems a very unefficient way of running things.

Just ask others what the process is. The store will change it if people don't turn up as they have no idea they are due in!
Reply 2
There needs to be an agreed and reasonable way of working. Ask what that is and to have a copy of your contract. Don’t worry. Also a good to be a union member for advice and support if needed.
They have broke the law they have to give you your contract ask them for a copy of your contract
Original post by megan51201
I have worked for a company for 2 years and have recently relocated to a store in the city due to moving to University. Upon working here, i was called to say i had not turned up for a shift (Sunday). When i checked the picture of the rota which i had took on the Friday, i was not scheduled in that day. My new manager then notified me that a change had been made to the rota and that it was my responsibility to have checked to see if any changes were to have been made. I didn’t think and employer could change your shift without notifying you, hence why i didn’t turn up? And on top of that with less than 24 hours notice? Immediately after this incident i unfortunately had to go into a 14 day isolation and haven’t had a chance to speak to my more senior manger. I am going to schedule a meeting with her so we can discuss company policy as in my previous store i was always ASKED if i was even available for a shift change before it was put on the rota. For all i know she could totally reassure me and i have nothing to worry about however I have let it totally work me up and have been constantly worrying that i am going to have to spend my whole life ringing and checking for shift changes as i was told it’s my responsibility by one of the other managers. I just want to know what my legal rights are in this situation? I was never issued a copy of my contract so i can’t even check that :frown:

This isn't a contractual matter, and it's not a big deal, don't explode it into something it isn't. You just need to establish with the line manager, what the rules are about a) them making changes and b) you checking. Your colleagues should also be able to tell you. If that minimum time doesn't work for you, ie it's something like 24 hours and your life needs more time than that, then again, it's not a contractual thing, it's a. operational working practice and if you don't like it you find another job that suits your scheduling better.
Reply 5
1) you have the right to a written contract if you are classed as an employee or worker. when you go into your meeting you should ask for one.

https://www.acas.org.uk/what-must-be-written-in-an-employment-contract/when-an-employee-must-get-their-written-terms

2) your employer should give you reasonable notice if they make a change to your hours. i reckon this new manager may be mistaken cuz it’s not realistic that you’re supposed to check your schedule every few hours to see if you’re scheduled to be there.

https://workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/the-law-when-an-employer-asks-you-to-change-your-hours/
Original post by Catherine1973
well common sense says they need to have some way of notifying you of your shifts and changes - just putting them up on a board where you might not see if you are in once a week seems a very unefficient way of running things.

Just ask others what the process is. The store will change it if people don't turn up as they have no idea they are due in!

I agree
You are totally in the right. It's ridiculous to expect an employee to check the rota every single day if they're part time and therefore aren't working every day. Common sense dictates that if you work Friday but aren't in Saturday, you're not going to be aware of any changes made to the rota concerning shifts on a Sunday. It's down to them to notify you. And even then, management shouldn't just assume you're free to work that day at such short notice.
(edited 3 years ago)
The rota goes up the week before read it and put your days in your mobile phone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending