afio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I have a choice between 3 sixth forms:

1) An OK sixth form which is part of a school I have attended for the past three years.

2) A very high achieving sixth form in a good area which is part of a school I know no one from.

3) A very high achieving sixth form in a rough area which is not part of a school, so most people attending don't know each other.

Which sixth form would you advise me to attend?

Do any of you regret moving (or not moving) to a different school for sixth form? Please share your experiences.
erancl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, obviously I can’t make the decision for you but I can tell you my experience and try to help you a bit.

My option 1 was the school I’d been to for 5 years, I’d know everyone and it was high achieving. My option 2 was a high achieving school in a nicer area but I wouldn’t know anyone and they’d known everyone for 5 years.

I decided to move and go for option 2 and it was the best decision. A change was really refreshing and I got to meet new people, who were all really nice and welcoming. The class sizes are smaller than they would have been if I chose option 1 and it gets better grades. It also has definitely helped prepare me for a move to uni, where you won’t know anyone and you (might) be far away from home and everyone you know.

That’s just my experience, but obviously with option 3 there’s a chance to form new groups and friendships where it might be harder with option 2 (although I had no trouble). Don’t worry about it being in a rougher area (unless it’s going to be unsafe travelling), the grades will be the main thing.

It depends on how social you are and how easy you find it to make friends. I’m quite quiet and shy around people I don’t know but just decided to fake confidence and it really helped me with making friends moving to a new school.

If I were you I’d go for option 2 or 3, and remember you can always go to the open evening (if they’re even happening this year due to covid) and just see which one you like better! That’ll be the easiest way to decide
afio
Rep:
?
(Original post by erancl)
Hi, obviously I can’t make the decision for you but I can tell you my experience and try to help you a bit.

My option 1 was the school I’d been to for 5 years, I’d know everyone and it was high achieving. My option 2 was a high achieving school in a nicer area but I wouldn’t know anyone and they’d known everyone for 5 years.

I decided to move and go for option 2 and it was the best decision. A change was really refreshing and I got to meet new people, who were all really nice and welcoming. The class sizes are smaller than they would have been if I chose option 1 and it gets better grades. It also has definitely helped prepare me for a move to uni, where you won’t know anyone and you (might) be far away from home and everyone you know.

That’s just my experience, but obviously with option 3 there’s a chance to form new groups and friendships where it might be harder with option 2 (although I had no trouble). Don’t worry about it being in a rougher area (unless it’s going to be unsafe travelling), the grades will be the main thing.

It depends on how social you are and how easy you find it to make friends. I’m quite quiet and shy around people I don’t know but just decided to fake confidence and it really helped me with making friends moving to a new school.

If I were you I’d go for option 2 or 3, and remember you can always go to the open evening (if they’re even happening this year due to covid) and just see which one you like better! That’ll be the easiest way to decide
Thank you for your response. I'm definitely considering option 1 the least, now.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by afio)
I have a choice between 3 sixth forms:

1) An OK sixth form which is part of a school I have attended for the past three years.

2) A very high achieving sixth form in a good area which is part of a school I know no one from.

3) A very high achieving sixth form in a rough area which is not part of a school, so most people attending don't know each other.

Which sixth form would you advise me to attend?

Do any of you regret moving (or not moving) to a different school for sixth form? Please share your experiences.
I'd go for either option 2 or 3 (depending on which of them 2 you like best). You get to meet new people, as well as staying friends with your mates from school.
I went to my secondary schools 6th form. I loved secondary school. I also thought I'd miss the place. But staying on another 2 years was good but i got a bit bored of the place. I wish I'd have tried somewhere new. A fresh start and a change of scenery and all that.
afio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
I'd go for either option 2 or 3 (depending on which of them 2 you like best). You get to meet new people, as well as staying friends with your mates from school.
I went to my secondary schools 6th form. I loved secondary school. I also thought I'd miss the place. But staying on another 2 years was good but i got a bit bored of the place. I wish I'd have tried somewhere new. A fresh start and a change of scenery and all that.
After reading your responses, I'm considering 2 and 3 more now. I'll wait until the open days to decide which one. Thanks for replying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads