elle5412
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hi, I am in a RUT! I would love to vet medicine at Nottingham however, my GCSEs aren't good enough and I'm worried at how competitive it is! is it possible to do a degree in animal science and then go on to study vet medicine?
Mews
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It is a possibility, but I think the issue with that is that you'd have to apply as a graduate to go onto Veterinary Medicine (there is no way to transfer onto the course), which I've heard is more competitive than applying as an undergraduate. You also wouldn't get any student finance for your second degree, so you'd have to fund it yourself which would be really expensive.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My GCSE's were 4A's 4B's and an E and I got in

Having the GCSE requirements gives you a competitive edge but being close to them doesn't guarantee you won't get an offer - I got 3 interviews and 3 offers.

Yes you could do animal science, biovet or similar first and do veterinary postgrad - but actually the competition for post-grad courses (4 years) seems higher. And you could go for the standard 5 year program post-grad but that is a lot of money to be paying upfront without student finance.
elle5412
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
My GCSE's were 4A's 4B's and an E and I got in

Having the GCSE requirements gives you a competitive edge but being close to them doesn't guarantee you won't get an offer - I got 3 interviews and 3 offers.

Yes you could do animal science, biovet or similar first and do veterinary postgrad - but actually the competition for post-grad courses (4 years) seems higher. And you could go for the standard 5 year program post-grad but that is a lot of money to be paying upfront without student finance.
Thank you i am going to apply for the prelim year with the resit to maths (I only have a C) I'm currently doing an access to HE course this year at NTU. Do you have any advice on the admission process/ucas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed