The Student Room Group

Am I too old for uni?

I am 22 nearly 23 years old and have just started my first year at university. I applied through clearing and got in pretty last minute so I didn't really have much time to think about my age. Now I am here I suddenly feel incredibly old, I have not met anyone near my age and I don't seem to have much in common with anyone. I stupidly decided to stay in uni halls as it was a last min decision and there wasn't much choice left. Would have been much better to stay in housing or even private as all the people in my halls want to do is drink and go out partying. I can't even meet people through societies due to covid and even if I did I am embarrassed for being so old. Anyone been through anything similar?
Original post by Louise78934
I am 22 nearly 23 years old and have just started my first year at university. I applied through clearing and got in pretty last minute so I didn't really have much time to think about my age. Now I am here I suddenly feel incredibly old, I have not met anyone near my age and I don't seem to have much in common with anyone. I stupidly decided to stay in uni halls as it was a last min decision and there wasn't much choice left. Would have been much better to stay in housing or even private as all the people in my halls want to do is drink and go out partying. I can't even meet people through societies due to covid and even if I did I am embarrassed for being so old. Anyone been through anything similar?

I haven't been through the same so I can't say how it feels and I'm sure it feels awkward. But I think the problem is your own embarassment, I doubt most people would even notice that you're older unless you're visibily greying.

You could try speak to a university counselor who could get you other students in similar situations
Reply 2
You are not too old!
I am younger than you, so I'm not in the same situation but my friendship group was made up of individuals ranging from the ages of 19 to nearly 30!
The current climate does make it much harder to meet people - online lectures and what not. Nothing starts friendships like a lecturer forcing people to get into groups haha.
Give it some more time, see if there are any societies available doing activities or meetings?
And as the reply above states, speaking to your personal tutor/uni counsellor could help too.

Honestly, when I did my undergrad degree I didn't fully form my group until late January, it takes some time :smile:
You’re really not that much older, although there is a huge difference in maturity between 18 and 22. Give yourself time because first years tend to calm down a bit as the year goes on. Are a lot of the societies online at the minute? I know it’s not quite the same thing.
I’m starting my degree at 23 (assuming I go this year) and I can assure you that nobody really cares about how old you are. People are all sorts of ages at university.

It will be awkward for the first term but everyone will forget about how old you are and you’ll make some great friends.
I’ll be at least 22 when I start uni, defo not too old!
Reply 6
Ok thank you so much, definitely made me feel better. Think I am just a little more anxious as covid has changed a lot of things and made making friends a little harder.
Reply 7
Youre thinking way to deeply on this, you're fine to go to uni, its not just for teenagers. It might be a bit different if you were in your 30's or what not and were in halls but meh.
Daddy went to uni at 36
Reply 9
Original post by YaliaV123
You’re really not that much older, although there is a huge difference in maturity between 18 and 22. Give yourself time because first years tend to calm down a bit as the year goes on. Are a lot of the societies online at the minute? I know it’s not quite the same thing.

Yeah all of them are. I have joined a few Facebook groups but they haven't planned anything (like online events).
Check and see if your uni's student union has any online events you can join to meet people.
Original post by Louise78934

Nah. I’m 25 and in second year. It’s fine. You just be the mature one, anyone who wants a sensible friend will be happy to have you around. Everyone else will just respect you’re there to do your thing.

There’s always an age gap awkwardness when people think about it, but usually, you don’t think of it or pay attention to it , so things proceed normally; just like working!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending