The Student Room Group

Math helpp

Picture of a below, so far all I’ve gotten from this is the equation dV/dt=1.5 and dA/dt<1
I’m thinking of using the chain rule or differentiating to find the minimum but idk what to differentiate or what to differentiate wrt to in order to find the minimum length
E5F031F1-B877-44BF-8C34-C7C45BEAB804.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
If you set you cube side length as a value (say x), you can write equations for V and A in terms of x.

Differentiating these will give you dV/dx and dA/dx.

To find dA/dt in terms of x, we can use the chain rule (dA/dt = dA/dx * dx/dt). We can do the same thing with dV/dt, which given we know dV/dt and dV/dx means we can find dx/dt in terms of x to put into our equation for dA/dt.

I'm not sure if that makes sense - trying not to give too much away all at once! Let me know how you get on :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
If you set you cube side length as a value (say x), you can write equations for V and A in terms of x.

Differentiating these will give you dV/dx and dA/dx.

To find dA/dt in terms of x, we can use the chain rule (dA/dt = dA/dx * dx/dt). We can do the same thing with dV/dt, which given we know dV/dt and dV/dx means we can find dx/dt in terms of x to put into our equation for dA/dt.

I'm not sure if that makes sense - trying not to give too much away all at once! Let me know how you get on :smile:

Ohh I understand, I’ll retry the question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest