writing a personal statement during COVID

Watch
hyejiro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
obv bc of covid and the lockdown, work experience and other extra curricular activities are out of question. how do i write a strong personal statement without having any major experience relating to my subject? i will mention books and online courses but will that be enough? will universities be more understanding and lenient with our personal statements this year?
GraceR333
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
This year is a lot different but any experiences or interests are good to mention in your personal statement. Online courses are brilliant to mention as they show you are motivated to study more in your chosen field. You don't have to mention any recent activities either, anything you've done relating to the subject or building any sort of skill shows universities what kind of person you are. Also mentioning any other interests or hobbies is well worthwhile because it shows what else you can bring to the university.
Hope this helps!
NellieTheElegant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They definitely will be more lenient, so don't worry if you don't think you've done enough. What there'll be looking for are applicants who've managed to stay studious and interested in their chosen subject despite COVID. If you've used the time off to do extra reading, that's great!

They'll also like it if you've attended virtual talks/courses. I did 3 online Politics courses in the summer to help back up my statement.
Some universities and US colleges do things called MOOCS which are online courses that can go on as long as a week to 3 months. They're a great thing to do in your spare time if you can find one on a topic that interests you.
hyejiro
Rep:
?
(Original post by GraceR333)
Hi,
This year is a lot different but any experiences or interests are good to mention in your personal statement. Online courses are brilliant to mention as they show you are motivated to study more in your chosen field. You don't have to mention any recent activities either, anything you've done relating to the subject or building any sort of skill shows universities what kind of person you are. Also mentioning any other interests or hobbies is well worthwhile because it shows what else you can bring to the university.
Hope this helps!
ah okay i see!! I will defo mention online courses but i was rlly worried about activites, thanks i feel so much better now
hyejiro
Rep:
?
(Original post by NellieTheElegant)
They definitely will be more lenient, so don't worry if you don't think you've done enough. What there'll be looking for are applicants who've managed to stay studious and interested in their chosen subject despite COVID. If you've used the time off to do extra reading, that's great!

They'll also like it if you've attended virtual talks/courses. I did 3 online Politics courses in the summer to help back up my statement.
Some universities and US colleges do things called MOOCS which are online courses that can go on as long as a week to 3 months. They're a great thing to do in your spare time if you can find one on a topic that interests you.
I am currently doing 2 MOOCs!! and I've read a book but that's about it really, I should probably watch some documentaries or read some more books!! but thank you so much I rlly do hope they are more understanding this year
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless you are applying for something vocational like medicine, work experience isn't needed. And even if you are applying for one of those courses, the unis are being more lenient
hyejiro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Unless you are applying for something vocational like medicine, work experience isn't needed. And even if you are applying for one of those courses, the unis are being more lenient
oh okay i see!! i thought work experience was preferred regardless of course, thank u!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise