How to repay sleep debt?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have moved out of my parents house, and to a new city a week ago. I have acquired about 18 hours of sleep debt within the week's time. This was due to the combination of stress and excessive partying. The sleep deprivation just kicked in and I feel exhausted, and I can't think clearly.
What can I do to get back to a normal state as soon as possible? Could I repay my sleep debt by taking sleeping pills, to force myself sleep off the hours I've lost?
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
No, you cannot repay "sleep debt". Sleeping for 24 hours straight wouldn't be equivalent to sleeping 8 hours for 3 nights; you can't just "sleep more" to make up for it.

The solution is really simple. Get back into a schedule. It's fine to party, or work later, some nights but if you do it regularly your sleep schedule will need to change to accommodate. Make it less of a common occurence and get to sleep at a more regular time.
AJ_152020
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
No easy way to 'repay' sleep debt. Best solution I could offer is get yourself back into a good sleep routine. Don't sleep during the day as you'll mess up your circadian rhythm. Try to keep active whilst awake, so that you will sleep when you go to bed. Stay away from sleeping pills, they're a temporary fix and won't help in the long run. Maybe try going to bed at say 10 tonight, get up at 8 or so tomorrow but don't have too much of a lay in so that you'll be ready to sleep come bedtime tomorrow. Try and stick to a consistent sleep duration as well, personally I find 7.25 hours is about my sweet spot, between 6 - 8 hours works for most people.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you both for your advice. I will definitely put it into practice. 🙂
AJ_152020
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you both for your advice. I will definitely put it into practice. 🙂
No worries!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why would you need sleeping pills? I thought you were tired?!

Just sleep a bit more tonight and should be fine. I'd stop counting up your "sleep debt" - its meaningless.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
'sleep debt' is meaningless. The solution is to sleep normally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads