examstudy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
It is true that if you have a semi group with a right identity and right inverse you have a group. So if you have a monoid, is it true that with a right inverse the monoid is a group? Since by definition the monoid must have an identity element (and therefore a right identity) and a right inverse, so why can’t you just apply the rule above?
Thank you
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Not familiar with monoids, but this looks relevant: https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...a-group/972164
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by examstudy)
It is true that if you have a semi group with a right identity and right inverse you have a group. So if you have a monoid, is it true that with a right inverse the monoid is a group? Since by definition the monoid must have an identity element (and therefore a right identity) and a right inverse, so why can’t you just apply the rule above?
Thank you
Yes. Are you trying to prove this, or do you just need the statement of the result? For your second question, of course, as you can just run through pretty much the same argument, but you won't have to prove a left inverse exists as you are already given that.
examstudy
Rep:
?
(Original post by zetamcfc)
Yes. Are you trying to prove this, or do you just need the statement of the result? For your second question, of course, as you can just run through pretty much the same argument, but you won't have to prove a left inverse exists as you are already given that.
No I am not trying to prove it, it is just out of curiosity since when I googled it many discussions said it was only possible for finite monoids, I’m not sure why
examstudy
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Not familiar with monoids, but this looks relevant: https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...a-group/972164
My question is if both the right inverse and right identity exist, rather than a left and a right(since you have a monoid- you know it has an identity within the set). It stems from the idea that the existence of a right inverse and right identity in a semi group implies a group, just wondered if this applies to monoids given we know the identity element exists
zetamcfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No I am not trying to prove it, it is just out of curiosity since when I googled it many discussions said it was only possible for finite monoids, I’m not sure why
Hmmm do you have a link to this?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My question is if both the right inverse and right identity exist, rather than a left and a right(since you have a monoid- you know it has an identity within the set). It stems from the idea that the existence of a right inverse and right identity in a semi group implies a group, just wondered if this applies to monoids given we know the identity element exists
Yeah - for some reason I thought you were talking left inverse (even though you said completely the opposite). My mistake, sorry.
examstudy
Rep:
?
Hmmm do you have a link to this?
https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...o-the-right-in

I know they are talking about the existence of a left inverse instead of right but the principal is the same. I am suggesting effectively that the right inverse existing means the monoid is a group and therefore the left inverse must exist... and be the right inverse itself (uniqueness)
Rowan281
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes. You just need to use associativity to prove that that a + (-a) = (-a) + a = 0 \forall a , where (-a) is the right inverse. Unless I'm missing something.
Last edited by Rowan281; 7 months ago
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

I know they are talking about the existence of a left inverse instead of right but the principal is the same. I am suggesting effectively that the right inverse existing means the monoid is a group and therefore the left inverse must exist... and be the right inverse itself (uniqueness)
As I understand it, the principle is not the same. Note the comment "Note, however that the group axioms as usually stated are redundant (this is generally stated as a remark or given as an exercise in basic algebra textbooks), in the sense that it is equivalent to state that there is a left identity, and that every element has a left inverse." (where obviously "left" can be replaced everywhere with "right" to get the case we're wanting to show is a group).

The finiteness specifically comes in from the argument needed to go from the existence of the left inverse to the existence of the right inverse.
zetamcfc
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

I am not sure if I'm reading this right, but in the link we are not assuming any other element has a right inverse. Whereas we need this for the standard proof using idempotency https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...edirect=1&lq=1 see the second and third answers.
examstudy
Rep:
?
I am not sure if I'm reading this right, but in the link we are not assuming any other element has a right inverse. Whereas we need this for the standard proof using idempotency https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...edirect=1&lq=1 see the second and third answers.
Thank you, so assuming all elements have a right inverse, we can assume the monoid is a group?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you, so assuming all elements have a right inverse, we can assume the monoid is a group?
Yes.
examstudy
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone, appreciate the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
22.16%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (81)
48.5%
I'm unsure (49)
29.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed