Bbubble061
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What is the difference between World System Theory and Dependency Theory?
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bbubble061)
What is the difference between World System Theory and Dependency Theory?
hey, well I do geography a-level and we also do this. The difference between them is that in the world systems theory, the core developed countries benefit the most, while the periphery developing countries benefit the least. Also, the semi-periphery countries are in the middle, as they benefit more from the periphery developing countries but benefit less than the core developed countries. The periphery developing countries provide the core developed countries and semi-periphery developing countries with raw materials, for consumption and for manufacturing. While, the core developed countries use the semi-periphery developing countries as cheap areas, for manufacturing and locations for services, such as call centres.

While, the dependency theory states that the periphery countries will provide a range of services to the core developed countries. These core developed countries will in return, control the development of these periphery developing countries.

So, you could say that they are both quite similar to each other
Bbubble061
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Raja12)
hey, well I do geography a-level and we also do this. The difference between them is that in the world systems theory, the core developed countries benefit the most, while the periphery developing countries benefit the least. Also, the semi-periphery countries are in the middle, as they benefit more from the periphery developing countries but benefit less than the core developed countries. The periphery developing countries provide the core developed countries and semi-periphery developing countries with raw materials, for consumption and for manufacturing. While, the core developed countries use the semi-periphery developing countries as cheap areas, for manufacturing and locations for services, such as call centres.

While, the dependency theory states that the periphery countries will provide a range of services to the core developed countries. These core developed countries will in return, control the development of these periphery developing countries.

So, you could say that they are both quite similar to each other
Ahh thank you so much! That was such a clear, simple yet concise explanation! I understand the difference now, thank you :heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.09%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (79)
28.01%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (105)
37.23%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.12%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.55%

Watched Threads