How to tell if a guy likes you or is just being friendly

Watch
TheAnxiousSloth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have never had a male friend who hasn't ended up being my boyfriend or had a crush on me (not trying to sound vain/arrogant- it's just how things happened)... so I don't know how a guy would act if he is just being friendly and doesn't have ulterior motives.

For example, there's a male colleague at work who i'm not sure about.
He keeps making a LOT of eye contact and randomly smiling at me.
He sat with me at lunch even though there were other people he could have sat with, and we're not actually friends (yet).
He complimented my eyes.
He keeps asking me to take my face mask off so he can see my face. If I say no, he says something like "Oh I'll just have to look at your photo on the staff board next to the office instead".

Would a guy do this normally if he was just being friendly?
Ackhnologia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there
Umm...
Well, I am not sure that a guy who just want to be friend would constantly try to see your face.
And it seems like he always try to be around you when possible. He even complimented you.
I might be wrong, but I think he might like you.
Do you live him too?
21ForEva
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heyyy

He sounds a little too friendly to be "just a colleague".

But then again, so many guys can be flirtatious and forward. Sounds like you don't know him well enough yet to judge whether that's just his charming personality or he's actually genuinely into you. I'm saying this because I knew a guy like this at work turns out he was just a manslut who loved having loads of girls chasing after him -- and yes I unfortunately chased and gave him a bigger head.

Here's what you should do:
1 - You should get other female colleagues to sit with you guys and see if he starts playing the same games with them
2 - When you're outside with him, take off the mask and see if he compliments your beauty
3 - Pretend you're having a rough patch with your mum/dad, best friend or sibling and if he becomes invested in your problem (asking loads of questions) and helps you with your "issue" then it shows he does care about you
4 - During a lunch break, start a convo about crushes and mention you have your eye on someone but not sure how to go about it (make sure you just mention that it's a new crush so it doesn't sound serious) and then see how he reacts or if he even gives advice to help you get with this "crush" of yours

If you really like this guy, and cba to go through all that ^^ then just take him aside after work one day and ask if he'd like to go for a walk or something (lol covid is preventing us from going out and about) and then when you're ready, ask him if he likes you because you like him etc etc.

Hope it goes well and hope he really does like you
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure.
He may be friendly but also socially awkward.
Or on prescription meds and experiencing some side effects that impact upon his communications with other people.
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheAnxiousSloth)
I have never had a male friend who hasn't ended up being my boyfriend or had a crush on me (not trying to sound vain/arrogant- it's just how things happened)... so I don't know how a guy would act if he is just being friendly and doesn't have ulterior motives.

For example, there's a male colleague at work who i'm not sure about.
He keeps making a LOT of eye contact and randomly smiling at me.
He sat with me at lunch even though there were other people he could have sat with, and we're not actually friends (yet).
He complimented my eyes.
He keeps asking me to take my face mask off so he can see my face. If I say no, he says something like "Oh I'll just have to look at your photo on the staff board next to the office instead".

Would a guy do this normally if he was just being friendly?
Hi,

Main difference between being friendly and being flirty is the compliment thingy. Guys rarely complement girls they're just friends with (unless it's clear she's put a lot of effort in her look; or she's down and he wants to boost her confidence).

From what you've described, I would say he's almost certainly interested in you... question is, what does he want? (e.g. a casual hook-up or a relationship)
21ForEva
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Not sure.
He may be friendly but also socially awkward.
Or on prescription meds and experiencing some side effects that impact upon his communications with other people.
Lol was having a really meh day until I saw this comment - very funny :P
It's starting to make me question my ex crush from work ..... looooool
TheAnxiousSloth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 21ForEva)
Heyyy

He sounds a little too friendly to be "just a colleague".

If you really like this guy, and cba to go through all that ^^ then just take him aside after work one day and ask if he'd like to go for a walk or something (lol covid is preventing us from going out and about) and then when you're ready, ask him if he likes you because you like him etc etc.

Hope it goes well and hope he really does like you
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
Hi,

Main difference between being friendly and being flirty is the compliment thingy. Guys rarely complement girls they're just friends with (unless it's clear she's put a lot of effort in her look; or she's down and he wants to boost her confidence).

From what you've described, I would say he's almost certainly interested in you... question is, what does he want? (e.g. a casual hook-up or a relationship)
I already told him I am in a long-term relationship with my boyfriend, so hopefully he's not after a casual hook-up lmao.

It would be nice to have some male friends that are happy to just have a friendship with me.
Last edited by TheAnxiousSloth; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise