The Student Room Group

Forgot my own girlfriends birthday tdlr

I’m an idiot I know. It was her birthday. I was out at work and I come back on the day of her birthday. I come back from work on my girlfriends birthday on that morning, I forgot it was all about her birthday because I have had a lot of my things on my mind. I went bedroom, my gf is there dressed up, she greets me and shes really excited. I told her Im going to bed because I’m tired, shes excited explaining shes going out for a night out with her mates and I just ask what times. Then I try to go to bed but she’s is just blocking it so I say Im tired she says have some cake first, I say what cake, shes just saying my mums made cake and I say why then shes like why wouldnt she.

At this point im have no clue whats going on, why is she dressed up, why is there cake, why did she want to go out so I ask just that and this is when everything starts. She starts crying, saying do you not know its her birthday today so I say sorry happy birthday, she starts crying more, getting upset that I forgot when her birtday was, so I just try to apologise for myself and say how sorry I was because I was sorry and felt like an idiot.
I
keep saying sorry and trying to comfort her but she isn’t having any of it. Im trying to get her to chill a bit because she was going mad about it, telling me to F off and getting more and more worked up about it. She just says shes going so I let her. I also have messaged her that we are im sorry and if she she wants to get me back she can because I’m feeling that bad about forgetting my own girlfriends birthday. Before she went she was screaming at me on the drive at me and pushing me, and she I tried to hug her but she pushed me really hard away and was slapping me. She said I’m a terrible boyfriend. I have said Ill send her something really nice in the post to make up for it but she said I’ll regret it if I come near her and told me to f off. I gave her a choice which is I can buy her a nice gift and I’ll apologise for my stupidity then we can continue forgetting this or I can take her out for nice meal but she won’t accept it. The last time I contacted her she was definitely still so upset still crying and mad so thats why I sent the message. I really want to continue the relationship because I love her so much.

Scroll to see replies

Ahh that’s tough!

I think you forgetting her birthday was extremely disrespectful. I understand that you’re busy but surely she hinted at it for a few days? Why don’t you make a note on a calendar or something? I think it’s just ignorant that you “forgot”.

I understand why she’s so upset, I would be too. However I can see that you’re clearly regretful about this situation.

I’d say give her a few days to calm down and let her decide what she wants to do. You’re 100% in the wrong which means it’s her decision on what she wants to do moving forwards. When you talk, explain that you’re sorry and you’re willing to change your ways and offer something as a way to show you’re sorry. See what she says.

At the end of the day, you should treat her with more respect. Don’t just come home and tell her “I’m tired” and go to bed. Even if you are tired, spare 5 minutes to ask about her day and then go to bed. That will change everything!

Treat her with some more respect and see what she wants to do.
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Ahh that’s tough!

I think you forgetting her birthday was extremely disrespectful. I understand that you’re busy but surely she hinted at it for a few days? Why don’t you make a note on a calendar or something? I think it’s just ignorant that you “forgot”.

I understand why she’s so upset, I would be too. However I can see that you’re clearly regretful about this situation.

I’d say give her a few days to calm down and let her decide what she wants to do. You’re 100% in the wrong which means it’s her decision on what she wants to do moving forwards. When you talk, explain that you’re sorry and you’re willing to change your ways and offer something as a way to show you’re sorry. See what she says.

At the end of the day, you should treat her with more respect. Don’t just come home and tell her “I’m tired” and go to bed. Even if you are tired, spare 5 minutes to ask about her day and then go to bed. That will change everything!

She did physically attack him though- that part is really out of order and I would seriously reconsider being in a relationship with anyone that behaves like that
Original post by historynerd47
She did physically attack him though- that part is really out of order and I would seriously reconsider being in a relationship with anyone that behaves like that

I agree. However if he was getting into her personal space, it may have been a self defence thing. I don’t know the whole story.

I think the best advice to give is that both sides need to think about the relationship as a whole. Do they want to stay together? Take into all the factors that have occurred. I think that’s the best way to move forward.
Reply 4
I want to laugh because how do you FORGET your GF's birthday?????
I agree. However if he was getting into her personal space, it may have been a self defence thing. I don’t know the whole story.

I think the best advice to give is that both sides need to think about the relationship as a whole. Do they want to stay together? Take into all the factors that have occurred. I think that’s the best way to move forward.

I’m op, I forgot my password and it logged out. I always comfort her and she’s ok with it and she was hitting me even when I wasn’t comforting her, I do deserve it though I forgot my own girlfriends birthday I’m a scum bag prick looking for sympathy
Original post by FRS500
I want to laugh because how do you FORGET your GF's birthday?????

I’m op and yes I’m a scumbag ****
Original post by historynerd47

I’m op and I deserved it, I forgot her birthday what bf forgets his own girls birthday. I’m a scumbag
Ahh that’s tough!

I think you forgetting her birthday was extremely disrespectful
. I understand that you’re busy but surely she hinted at it for a few days? Why don’t you make a note on a calendar or something? I think it’s just ignorant that you “forgot”.

Oh calm down. Plenty of people forget birthdays all the time, it doesnt make them disrespectful. Some people just dont make that big of a deal out of them.

Whats wrong with being tired and going straight to bed? The OP didnt say what time of day it was, it could have been 9 pm at night.
Original post by LaEunoianDuque
Oh calm down. Plenty of people forget birthdays all the time, it doesnt make them disrespectful. Some people just dont make that big of a deal out of them.

Whats wrong with being tired and going straight to bed? The OP didnt say what time of day it was, it could have been 9 pm at night.

I’m the op and they are right. Don’t stick up for me, I’m the prick here and I admit it, I never have heard of anyone forget there own gfs birthday before unless for a joke
Original post by Anonymous
I’m the op and they are right. Don’t stick up for me, I’m the prick here and I admit it, I never have heard of anyone forget there own gfs birthday before unless for a joke

You realize that it shows the difference between all the anons, right? 🙄

Don't be overly harsh on yourself, just try to make sure you remember stuff like this in the future. She will come round in a few days; she's obviously into you a lot which is why she is so upset about the situation
You realize that it shows the difference between all the anons, right? 🙄

Yes that’s why I said I’m the op because it will say I’m anon 2
Original post by IVLIVSCAESAR
Don't be overly harsh on yourself, just try to make sure you remember stuff like this in the future. She will come round in a few days; she's obviously into you a lot which is why she is so upset about the situation

I have upset her though and she might not want to be with me anymore.

Remembering your partner’s birthday is common decency. And yes it may have been late, but as I said even if he just said “hi how was your day?” Before going to bed, it would’ve made a massive difference.

It’s a difference of opinions. I’m not going to argue you.
Remembering your partner’s birthday is common decency. And yes it may have been late, but as I said even if he just said “hi how was your day?” Before going to bed, it would’ve made a massive difference.

No you don’t need to argue with me because you are right, I was fully in the wrong and deserve to go to hell
I have upset her though and she might not want to be with me anymore.

It seems like that reaction would be a bit over the top to stick with. If you give her a bit of time to calm down, then do a couple of things to show her what she means to you, I think things will return to normal
No you don’t need to argue with me because you are right, I was fully in the wrong and deserve to go to hell

You don’t need to go to hell. You made a mistake. As long as you’re apologetic and give her space, it’s fine. You’re clearly apologetic and feel guilty so express this to her and see how it goes.
Yes that’s why I said I’m the op because it will say I’m anon 2

Thats not how it works.

Everyone forgets sometimes. I doubt the OP intentionally wanted to make her day bad by forgetting. Sometimes an apology is the best you can do, which the OP did. No need to guilt trip him any further.
You don’t need to go to hell. You made a mistake. As long as you’re apologetic and give her space, it’s fine. You’re clearly apologetic and feel guilty so express this to her and see how it goes.

I do need to go to hell, I’m a terrible person what normal bf does this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending