The Student Room Group

Parents don’t approve of relationship

I’m 21 years old and I’m dating a boy who’s a different religion. I love him so much and I’ve never felt as happy as I do with him. However, my parents are very strict on me marrying a boy of the same religion and I know that they will disapprove and not accept my relationship. I know they would tell me to leave him and it will create a huge issue. However, I love him so much that I can’t imagine being without him. I’m so happy, however I hate having to hide my relationship and lie all the time about who I’m going out with etc. What do I do? I’m considering leaving but I can’t imagine my life without my family either. I can’t imagine not having them be part of my life, my kids’ life etc. I feel so lost and torn.
Sadly you will have to choose; it is a question of which one you most want a future with.
You know that you can't have both.

My mother had to choose too- she chose freedom and to marry the man she wanted.
When she came home to tell her family that she had decided to marry an atheist she was almost beaten to death by her father & his mother, disinherited and forbidden to attend her father's funeral.
But she married her soulmate, has been married for almost 40 years and escaped a family of toxic ultra-traditionalists.
Good luck, whatever decision you make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending