SuttonOG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am really interested in knowing how the business world works as well as wanting to learn more ways of how to earn money. I've already started my own mini businesses and seen the money that can be made so I think studying a business-related degree will help me learn more about it all at a higher level. Will an economics degree help me learn things like this as well as how to think in terms of making money or have I got the wrong idea of what the course entails?
Also, is economics a good degree in terms of salary and good job availability for after uni?
Finally, which are the best universities for it, and does the university matter a lot?
ty
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by SuttonOG)
I am really interested in knowing how the business world works as well as wanting to learn more ways of how to earn money. I've already started my own mini businesses and seen the money that can be made so I think studying a business-related degree will help me learn more about it all at a higher level. Will an economics degree help me learn things like this as well as how to think in terms of making money or have I got the wrong idea of what the course entails?
Also, is economics a good degree in terms of salary and good job availability for after uni?
Finally, which are the best universities for it, and does the university matter a lot?
ty
I would say Economics, Finance and Accounting are good subjects.

Unis include Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Oxford.
SuttonOG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I would say Economics, Finance and Accounting are good subjects.

Unis include Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Oxford.
I got told that many business degrees arent worth doing and are dosser degrees to take but that economics and management is the actual hard one that is respected
confuzzledteen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah, I'd say that people sadly look down on Business Management/ Business Administration degrees. Even at A-Level, Business is seen as a 'soft' subject. Economics is definitely a good degree in terms of salary & job availability after uni - it's quite broad i.e. you can branch into anything really, including law, investment banking, insurance etc. Hence I'd recommend it over Finance & Accounting. But you're kind of wrong in that you don't really learn about money or how to make it. Fair, there are modules you can take which are more centered around money & finance, but there are compulsory modules such as Macroeconomics where you've got to learn about things like unemployment, economic growth, inflation, inequality etc. This probably explains why the subject is so broad as you really do cover a myriad of things - Microeconomics (individual marks), Business Economics (probably the bit you'll be most interested in), Macroeconomics (as mentioned above), International Economics (mostly to do with trade) + some universities even have History of Economics as a compulsory module. So you really do cover everything. Good uni's, in the UK, I would say are Oxbridge (but keep in mind that Oxford doesn't offer pure Econ, they only offer Econs & Management (E&M) and Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)), UCL, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter, St. Andrews, KCL..
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by SuttonOG)
I got told that many business degrees arent worth doing and are dosser degrees to take but that economics and management is the actual hard one that is respected
Yes, please don't study business administration, business management or any other form of business degrees. I personally think they are not strong academic programmes to provide the required foundation. I’d prefer Economics, Economics & Finance, Economics & Management, Accounting & Finance or other forms.

If you have the grades, I’d suggest you study Economics at Cambridge or LSE and then an MBA afterwards (maybe Oxford, Imperial or LBS). That should, I think, provide good background.

An example:
Undergraduate: Economics - Cambridge
Graduate Programme: Investment Banking (3-5 years)
MBA: Oxford

A cheaper alternative:
Undergraduate: Economics - Oxford, LSE, Cambridge
Postgraduate: Management - Cambridge
Graduate Programme

Please note this is an example and it does not necessarily happen for everyone. Good luck
debbietg02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Yes, please don't study business administration, business management or any other form of business degrees. I personally think they are not strong academic programmes to provide the required foundation. I’d prefer Economics, Economics & Finance, Economics & Management, Accounting & Finance or other forms.

If you have the grades, I’d suggest you study Economics at Cambridge or LSE and then an MBA afterwards (maybe Oxford, Imperial or LBS). That should, I think, provide good background.

An example:
Undergraduate: Economics - Cambridge
Graduate Programme: Investment Banking (3-5 years)
MBA: Oxford

A cheaper alternative:
Undergraduate: Economics - Oxford, LSE, Cambridge
Postgraduate: Management - Cambridge
Graduate Programme

Please note this is an example and it does not necessarily happen for everyone. Good luck
What about business economics is that good
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by debbietg02)
What about business economics is that good
I think business economics can be a subset of general economics. I’d suggest studying full Econ to have a decent spread of economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (74)
29.84%
No (174)
70.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise