The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
leaving them is fine cos usually the machine locks itself until the cycle is done. jsut make sure you are there b4 the machine stops...

regarding mixing, i wud have mixed the 2. But then again, im a bloke. ^^
Reply 2
I'd avoid drying anything black with anything white, it's still wet and can mess up the colours a bit. Learned through hard experience :biggrin:

I sit there and wait if there's nobody else there, if someone else is already there and a thief walks in he doesn't know whose washing is whose so if there's already someone there I leave them to guard my washing for me :biggrin:

I've never heard of washing getting stolen personally but I'd imagine it happens as one load =£100-150 worth of gear?

I personally do pure whites, lighter colours and darker colours - and I'd put the white and green hoody in the lighter colours wash.

EDIT: as above the washing machines @ mine lock themselves too, but quite often dryers don't.
Reply 3
to be honest - I think the 'colour running' fear is a conspiracy - I always mix and have never seen a change in quality of colour!

If you know how long it takes to wash, go and do something in the time it takes and come back.

If you don't know how long it takes, stay there! If you leave, there is always some **** who will take your washing out and put it on a dirty floor!
Reply 4
Choose mixed wash, make sure you don't leave your the washing machine though. They cannot be trusted alone.
I usually just leave it there and go to the common room which is ideally right by the laundry room. Good luck! Here is a giant rabbit to help you:

Meh, I usually stuff everything in and if I don't come back before someone else wants to use it - all they do is dump either in the dryer or on the side. No big deal.
Reply 7
thegman89
I need to go and use a washing machine for the first time :eek:

I know not to bix darks and lights and red and whites, but I've got a white and green hoody - so is that white or dark? :s-smilie: Also is it "normal" to leave your washing there and come back for it later (laundrette on site - UNITE) or sit there and wait? Can you dry different colours togther?

Probably silly questions, but thanks :biggrin:

never used a washing machine?

wow...
Reply 8
im using one now to make sure al my clothes are nice an clean ( moving to uni 2moro) I can figure out alot of things on a computer...but man...washer machines are complicated things.. haha ( ironinig is also a trouble spot)
Reply 9
Cheers guys :biggrin::smile:
Reply 10
MrMat18
im using one now to make sure al my clothes are nice an clean ( moving to uni 2moro) I can figure out alot of things on a computer...but man...washer machines are complicated things.. haha ( ironinig is also a trouble spot)

This made me lol.

It's a giggle how boys act all big and tough, but the majority of them still get cooked for and cleaned up after by Mummy :p:
I've done all my own washing since the age of eleven?!
Reply 11
emilyyy
This made me lol.

It's a giggle how boys act all big and tough, but the majority of them still get cooked for and cleaned up after by Mummy :p:

:yep: Same. I don't think my mom has done a load of my washing for me since I went to secondary school.

Learn to be independent boys! You sure as hell aren't gonna get the help at uni!
Reply 12
emilyyy
This made me lol.

Of course Mummy sorts my stuff out! haha! Im hoping to just live on noodles in uni ! ( no need to cook then woop!)
I always sort mine thus:

-whites, yellows, other very pale colours
-reds & pinks
-greens, blues, purples, browns (brights basically)
-blacks, greys, navy, dark brown, other dark colours
Reply 14
MrMat18
Of course Mummy sorts my stuff out! haha! Im hoping to just live on noodles in uni ! ( no need to cook then woop!)

:p: Nice and healthy then :wink:

I reckon I'm just gonna be one of those people who makes a couple of meals at the beginning of the week, then freezes separate portions. I looove cooking :smile:
I just do lights and darks separate and then wash them on a cool wash.

Unless you have a new pair of black jeans or something that are 100% gonna leak then just do them on their own or with some other black stuff.

Eeeeeasy
Reply 16
emilyyy
:p: Nice and healthy then :wink:

I reckon I'm just gonna be one of those people who makes a couple of meals at the beginning of the week, then freezes separate portions. I looove cooking :smile:

Thats what I've ended up doing - just cooking whats in the pack and feezing any thats left over! Working well so far :smile:
Reply 17
I'm a lazy **** and just washed everything together and it came out fine. Although most of my clothes are quite dark. Don't really have any whites at all.

Yay for having a washing machine in my student house now ^_^
Reply 18
I always leave mine, but the machines on my campus always lock. If they didn't, I'd probably stay just in case.
Reply 19
I saved on washing money at uni for the last year and didn't separate the colours. Consequently all my white t-shirts are a shade of grey now :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending