The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well as long as we're not making all-encompassing assumptions :rolleyes:
Reply 21
I find France having a governmentally imposed cap on how much airtime is given to English language songs to be far more backward.
KwungSun
I find France having a governmentally imposed cap on how much airtime is given to English language songs to be far more backward.

You just can't be bothered to learn French. :p:
Reply 23
CHAMON
Well, isn't that like UK stations banning Cliff Richard songs? You can't blame the whole nation! :rolleyes:

yeah but that's because Cliff Richard songs make people want to kill themselevs!
Reply 24

you believe what the Daily Mail says????
tis_me_lord
Yeah damn those capitialist AMERICANS! You don't see any other nations having that economic policy! :p: I was ranting about this recently somewhere else on TSR and someone was like "America is not a race" because I claimed that saying all Americans are stupid was racist. I guess it depends what you define as race ... I don't see why they're not one? Yeah they're white like us. So are Polish people and if I said "all Polish people are stupid" I'd be called a racist.

It's just like ... not many people are into politics. Yet EVERYONE has an opinion on George Bush. Hence a lot of people who know nothing about his policy slag him off, without even knowing why. It's just annoying - and they say it like its original or witty too, making it even more annoying still. (Not to say I like George Bush, I don't, I just don't make sweeping generalisations and moronic insults either.)

(Sorry to rant.)

To take your first point, you're right. But that's because the word ''racist'' has been painfully overused and bandied about over the last few years and some use it as a joke, to the point that true racism is ignored and the meaning of racist becoming blurred.

I don't think George Bush is the best example, but people are motivated and excited by things that evoke response...anti-Americanism unfortunately being one of them. The words ''George Bush'' are often met with harsh words and opinions here in the UK, because that's all that some people know.
"They ran themselves into there own dam crater"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IIsG5VCnuTo&feature=related
Reply 27
Helen_J
yeah but that's because Cliff Richard songs make people want to kill themselevs!

*Sings* It's so funny, how we don't talk anymore...
Reply 28
River85
Exactly.

People obviously forget, it really wasn't that long ago songs such as "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood were banned by the BBC in this country (even if their homosexual references may be slight more explicit or obvious).

Edit: - Whoops! Lib beat me to it!

to be fair that was a whole generation ago - a long time when it comes to things like social aittitudes to sex etc.

although I do remember when that 'Let's Talk About Sex' tune was banned from the radio and that was in the early 90s, though still nearly a lifetime ago for many on here..
Reply 29
Erik.
to be fair that was a whole generation ago - a long time when it comes to things like social aittitudes to sex etc.

although I do remember when that 'Let's Talk About Sex' tune was banned from the radio and that was in the early 90s, though still nearly a lifetime ago for many on here..

Possibly, altough stll very much in the lifetimes of many on here.

You have a lesbian kiss on a major TV soap (which was well publicised beforehand so those who don't like it could easily have just not watched) and there's a flood of complaints.

There are still wannabe Mary Whitehouses' out there these days. There are more in the US arguably, but then it is a bigger country.
I'm here in america. The work is easy. Everyone I meet is fit and healthy (this is california, not the deep south), people are generally friendly, people are generally educated. I meet a lot more horrible, offensive, ugly, fat and rude people in britain daily.

Only thing is there are a lot of crazies here in berkeley. But y'know.
America is not an episode of friends and it is very different from the UK.
I agree with Bismark, leave Americans alone and stop all the Americans are idiots and backwards. Yes there are some idiots for example Mr bush, but I'm sure people would be the same towards Britain if Jade Goody was prime minister or someone of the same intelligence.

Also when i was in France i found the fact that i think its about 20% of the music played on radio stations in France must be in the French language
theredwindmill
I agree with Bismark, leave Americans alone and stop all the Americans are idiots and backwards. Yes there are some idiots for example Mr bush, but I'm sure people would be the same towards Britain if Jade Goody was prime minister or someone of the same intelligence.

Also when i was in France i found the fact that i think its about 20% of the music played on radio stations in France must be in the French language

They have a similar policy with French T.V, they only broadcast a limited amount of U.S shows.
NW8_SW1_EC3
They have a similar policy with French T.V, they only broadcast a limited amount of U.S shows.

i had noticed that to, although Tiji has somehow avoided that policy hehe. Btw i was watching Tiji because i was baby sitting and not watching it for my own enjoyment :ninja:
Bismarck
I love how anti-American bigotry is tolerated here. If anyone made a similar statement about any other country, they'd be deemed racist. Some people should use their brains occasionally and realize that America has thousands of radio stations, and that if "several" don't play something, it says nothing about America itself.

Is being Anti- Iranian Bigotry aswell?

Your commetns are so curious since i know you don't extend the same courtesy to the nation of Iran.
Reply 36
i still like America, very nice country.

Latest

Trending

Trending