Regret my degree choice

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
At school and A levels my favourite subject was always history (I got an A at A level), however I was under the impression from many people that a history degree was useless and wouldn’t lead to a job, so I took psychology in the hope of one day becoming a clinical psychologist. I’m about to start my third year at uni and I’ve realised that I’m just not that passionate about psychology and I really regret not doing a history degree. I’ve come to realisation that my dream career would be working as an archivist/curator in a museum or gallery. I am filled with so much regret I don’t know how to deal with it. Is there any way I can still get into my dream career with a psychology degree? Could a masters in anthropology possibly lead to me where I want to be? Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
At school and A levels my favourite subject was always history (I got an A at A level), however I was under the impression from many people that a history degree was useless and wouldn’t lead to a job, so I took psychology in the hope of one day becoming a clinical psychologist. I’m about to start my third year at uni and I’ve realised that I’m just not that passionate about psychology and I really regret not doing a history degree. I’ve come to realisation that my dream career would be working as an archivist/curator in a museum or gallery. I am filled with so much regret I don’t know how to deal with it. Is there any way I can still get into my dream career with a psychology degree? Could a masters in anthropology possibly lead to me where I want to be? Thanks
As you've come so far, could you maybe finish your degree and then do a masters in museum studies or curatorial studies to make the transition? I know a couple of people who have done that after working or studying in other unrelated fields. From memory Edinburgh does a course but there are others too.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
im in the same boat, and now i cant think of a dissertation idea cus i have no passion for the subject!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Your psychology degree will never be wasted, btw. It plays into anthropology and will come in useful somewhere down the road (even if you can't see how or where now).
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
As you've come so far, could you maybe finish your degree and then do a masters in museum studies or curatorial studies to make the transition? I know a couple of people who have done that after working or studying in other unrelated fields. From memory Edinburgh does a course but there are others too.
Oh and do work experience/intern in museums where you can in the interim. IRL experience counts for everything and shows enthusiasm
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Also...you could argue in an interview for a museum job or MA application that psychology plays a big part in why we collect artefacts or what we choose to collect - how human beings decide what is important and what to discard - and what that says about us as societies - how the whole concept of museology is shaped by psychology and a need to tell our narratives.
Phew, on a roll there! Want me to write your dissertation?! Sorry, I'll stop now!
What I mean, in short, is - never regret anything. Everything is useful, somehow, someday.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't think anything is truly a waste. I would suggest trying to explore the links between History and Psychology. Also look at postgrad courses that can provide a good segue to History and what you want do afterwards. Good luck
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a 'bridge' , you might want to consider roles which focus on interpretation, 'visitor' experience and engagement. These often look for experience and understanding of how people learn and how best to engage and involve individuals and communities. A first degree in Psychology combined with volunteer/intern experience in such a role might fit well.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For working in the museums sector as a curator I don't think there is any specific degree background required to start, the major issue will be getting a good amount of relevant experience (at an appropriate level i.e. not gallery attending) to get a foot in the door. Archival work may prefer or require a history and/or library/information science degree. A masters degree in history/archaeology/anthropology/art history may well be relevant for particular areas in the museums sector, and save for history degrees all tend to accept any degree or any social sciences/humanities degrees as a background (some history MA courses might accept graduates from other degrees but I imagine these will be less common).

I would recommend in the first instance looking to get as much experience that you can in the sector in the "behind the scenes" roles if you can. You can of course also look for e.g. visitor services/experience/management type roles in the mean time as well (at a level suitable for someone with a first degree ideally), and then when you are in the museum see if you can undertake some shadowing with the curator(s). Then depending on how those experiences go and as your understanding of the sector and personal interests within it mature, you can explore various masters options in relation to your career aspirations. I would however recommend trying to get some experience if you can first, then applying to masters programmes.

Spoiler:
Show

UCL in particular offers a number of masters degrees in museum studies, library and information studies, and two in conservation for museums, all of which can be undertaken part time (ideally in a relevant post). Of course there are plenty of other relevant programmes elsewhere, UCL just has a bit of a nexus of those areas across various departments. The Courtauld's MA History of Art (and other PG programmes) still has a major pull in the sector from what I've heard, having produced many of the heads of major museums and galleries in the UK, although the RCA's Curating Contemporary Art is beginning to displace that for places with contemporary or more mixed collections as I understand.

username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why can't you still be an archivist/curator? What's stopping you? Have you offered to volunteer at your local museum and find out what you need to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.58%
No one else does (81)
31.64%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.94%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (86)
33.59%
We don't use a video platform (4)
1.56%
I don't have a camera (6)
2.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.34%

Watched Threads