The Student Room Group

Becoming an Occupational Therapist in the UK

Hi all,

I am currently pursuing my OT degree overseas and planning to move back to the UK for starting off my career. I would like to raise a couple of questions regarding the work of an OT in the UK, as I really have no idea at all what it is like working as an OT here.

1) What is the prospect and pay grade for an OT working in the UK? The reason why I am concerned about the pay is because some of my friends working in the NHS said OT is not really a well-paid job and it could be a problem earning a livelihood for a rookie.

2) Which specialty do OTs usually work in, pediatrics, mental health or other physical specialties?

3) Is it common for OTs in the UK to pursue post-graduate training (e.g. Neuro-IFRAH, Sensory Integration, Hypnotherapy, etc.)? Which are the more common ones that therapists choose to study?

4) I would also like to know more about the workplace culture. Is there any invisible red-tapes among different disciplines working in a hospital, say OTs are usually thought to be experts in managing issues with the upper extremities and PTs with the lower limbs, and it is not advisable to cross that boundary when working with your patients.

I am sorry that some of the questions above may sound silly or absurd to some of you. Any ideas or advice will be very much appreciated, and of course anything that is related to the work of an OT in the UK but not mentioned above is also welcomed.

Many thanks! =]
Reply 1
Original post by HanzawaNaoki
Hi all,

I am currently pursuing my OT degree overseas and planning to move back to the UK for starting off my career. I would like to raise a couple of questions regarding the work of an OT in the UK, as I really have no idea at all what it is like working as an OT here.

1) What is the prospect and pay grade for an OT working in the UK? The reason why I am concerned about the pay is because some of my friends working in the NHS said OT is not really a well-paid job and it could be a problem earning a livelihood for a rookie.

2) Which specialty do OTs usually work in, pediatrics, mental health or other physical specialties?

3) Is it common for OTs in the UK to pursue post-graduate training (e.g. Neuro-IFRAH, Sensory Integration, Hypnotherapy, etc.)? Which are the more common ones that therapists choose to study?

4) I would also like to know more about the workplace culture. Is there any invisible red-tapes among different disciplines working in a hospital, say OTs are usually thought to be experts in managing issues with the upper extremities and PTs with the lower limbs, and it is not advisable to cross that boundary when working with your patients.

I am sorry that some of the questions above may sound silly or absurd to some of you. Any ideas or advice will be very much appreciated, and of course anything that is related to the work of an OT in the UK but not mentioned above is also welcomed.

Many thanks! =]

I'm a nurse, have been qualified a year, and can assure you that starting wage in the NHS is a perfectly fine amount to live on. OTs start on band 5 of agenda for change, same as nurses - info here https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pensions-and-reward/agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual
(I'm sorry I can't give you more answers)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending