Law or biomed? - struggling to decide

Watch
Hira1258
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am contemplating between choosing to study law or biomedicine at uni, I'm aware these are two very different routes which is why I'm struggling on deciding. Both sound interesting however with biomed I would have to do a foundation year first because I didn't take Maths or a second science (I'm doing English Lit, Biology and art and design), whereas with law my A Levels fit the criteria slightly better having chosen an essay based subject and English being my strongest subject at GCSE too. I know that both degrees require heavy memory commitment but it's just deciding which one would be best for me that I'm deeply struggling with, if anyone who's studying law or biomed could let me know a bit more about what it's like studying the course that would be much appreciated, any help in regards to how I should decide would also be greatly appreciated, thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hira1258)
I am contemplating between choosing to study law or biomedicine at uni, I'm aware these are two very different routes which is why I'm struggling on deciding. Both sound interesting however with biomed I would have to do a foundation year first because I didn't take Maths or a second science (I'm doing English Lit, Biology and art and design), whereas with law my A Levels fit the criteria slightly better having chosen an essay based subject and English being my strongest subject at GCSE too. I know that both degrees require heavy memory commitment but it's just deciding which one would be best for me that I'm deeply struggling with, if anyone who's studying law or biomed could let me know a bit more about what it's like studying the course that would be much appreciated, any help in regards to how I should decide would also be greatly appreciated, thanks
Try and get work experience or simply look at whats covered on the degree.

Law doesnt have a criteria.
You can become a lawyer after a biomed degree reasonably easily.

Careers- See if you can get any of these books at the careers library or they will have similar for you to read. Try and get ones aimed at your age group. If you cant find then just get second hand from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-.../dp/1492153281

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-What-You.../dp/0316167266
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...-my-degree/law
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...dical-sciences

There isnt much room to be mediocre. If you get some experience and learn more about your subject, then one of them should stand out.
lunacentral1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hira1258)
I feel with biomed its pretty straightforward whether you will enjoy it or not. Did you enjoy biology a level? The topics are very similar to what you would do at university but less complex. Law is all about building an argument using a set of rules. Did you find the argumentative parts of english interesting?. I think it's also useful to look at the law curriculum in unis that you want to go to.
+ I think people underestimate how important ur work environment is. Biomed and law have very different vibes, and it really depends on which you prefer. I was deciding between law and medicine and went with law, and the a levels english history art and chemistry.
I'd say don't stress it too much though- go with which one feels more right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (356)
19.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads