The Student Room Group

What to do now

My brother has anger issues and is addicted towards the ps4
He starts crying badly and leashes out, hitting people and stuff if someone takes it off him

I guess I'm addicted to my phone as well. But I don't really lash out, I just keep it in me and direct it towards myself. I'm always in my room and barely leave, I have no motivation to do anything. I did attempt twice. I have quite a lot of anger and resent inside me and I overreact irrationally, and try to justify everything I do, no matter if it's wrong or right. I can be quite abrupt too. I have self destructive eating habits I'm trying to eat healthy but ill slip up and end up binging.

The relationship between me and my parents is strained. They say it's all up to your mindset but I just get annoyed everytime they speak to me because in these past they haven't been true to what they preach.

That's about it. I'd like some advice for me, my brother and my parents.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Some errors, sorry
Reply 2
Bump
Wow
That is a big issue
@Abzzz57 any helpful advice😊?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
My brother has anger issues and is addicted towards the ps4
He starts crying badly and leashes out, hitting people and stuff if someone takes it off him

I guess I'm addicted to my phone as well. But I don't really lash out, I just keep it in me and direct it towards myself. I'm always in my room and barely leave, I have no motivation to do anything. I did attempt twice. I have quite a lot of anger and resent inside me and I overreact irrationally, and try to justify everything I do, no matter if it's wrong or right. I can be quite abrupt too. I have self destructive eating habits I'm trying to eat healthy but ill slip up and end up binging.

The relationship between me and my parents is strained. They say it's all up to your mindset but I just get annoyed everytime they speak to me because in these past they haven't been true to what they preach.

That's about it. I'd like some advice for me, my brother and my parents.

Thanks,

Hi, it does sound like you are going through a lot at the moment, especially with your brother and your parents! How old is your brother? Unfortunately with any kind of video game it can become quite addicting, if all he is doing is focusing on the PS4 then he will become kind of obsessed with it, which makes it harder for him to get off of it. I would suggest speaking to your parents and ask them to speak to their GP so your brother can receive help for his anger issues. I would try and start a hobby that both you and your brother like, maybe you could suggest getting fit together, so go to the gym or play a game in the park, anything outside will really help him!

For you, I think it's really good that you notice the issues you have, that's kind of the first step in changing! For your phone, it's habit, if your bored or just in your room then reaching for your phone is easy, try and limit yourself to just using it during breaks. Which brings me onto the next point, getting yourself into a routine will really help, whatever age you are, if your in school or work a routine will give proper structure to your day and you won't find yourself as bored or angry. So an example of a routine:

9-10am: Wake up, make your bed, eat breakfast and shower, phone time
10-11am: exercise or brisk walk
11-12pm: study or educational hobby (reading or watching documentaries)
12-1pm: Lunch
1-4pm: study or hobby
4-5pm: tidy house, chores, exercise
5-6pm: dinner
6-9pm: relax, study, play
9-10pm: routine to get ready for bed..

This is a very loose plan, but if you start doing the same thing everyday, it just gives you a sense of purpose, finding out what you enjoy and setting aside time for it will really help you to keep motivated! With the eating, try not to put a big emphasis on eating healthy, I find I slip up more if I'm on a diet.. so just keep snacks to a minimum and eat relatively well..

With your parents, you only have one set, if they are toxic then I would suggest moving away but as they seem kind of just annoying then I would make the effort to get along better with them, try and spend time with them, help around the house, ask about their day etc I know it's difficult and all parents are annoying but when you get to a certain age and look back you might regret not being close to them now!

I know this is really long! Sorry!! But I wish you the best!
Reply 5
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, it does sound like you are going through a lot at the moment, especially with your brother and your parents! How old is your brother? Unfortunately with any kind of video game it can become quite addicting, if all he is doing is focusing on the PS4 then he will become kind of obsessed with it, which makes it harder for him to get off of it. I would suggest speaking to your parents and ask them to speak to their GP so your brother can receive help for his anger issues. I would try and start a hobby that both you and your brother like, maybe you could suggest getting fit together, so go to the gym or play a game in the park, anything outside will really help him!

For you, I think it's really good that you notice the issues you have, that's kind of the first step in changing! For your phone, it's habit, if your bored or just in your room then reaching for your phone is easy, try and limit yourself to just using it during breaks. Which brings me onto the next point, getting yourself into a routine will really help, whatever age you are, if your in school or work a routine will give proper structure to your day and you won't find yourself as bored or angry. So an example of a routine:

9-10am: Wake up, make your bed, eat breakfast and shower, phone time
10-11am: exercise or brisk walk
11-12pm: study or educational hobby (reading or watching documentaries)
12-1pm: Lunch
1-4pm: study or hobby
4-5pm: tidy house, chores, exercise
5-6pm: dinner
6-9pm: relax, study, play
9-10pm: routine to get ready for bed..

This is a very loose plan, but if you start doing the same thing everyday, it just gives you a sense of purpose, finding out what you enjoy and setting aside time for it will really help you to keep motivated! With the eating, try not to put a big emphasis on eating healthy, I find I slip up more if I'm on a diet.. so just keep snacks to a minimum and eat relatively well..

With your parents, you only have one set, if they are toxic then I would suggest moving away but as they seem kind of just annoying then I would make the effort to get along better with them, try and spend time with them, help around the house, ask about their day etc I know it's difficult and all parents are annoying but when you get to a certain age and look back you might regret not being close to them now!

I know this is really long! Sorry!! But I wish you the best!

Thank you for the reply! My brother is 13 and I'm in year 11

I'll try to stick to a routine for myself, my parents have been toxic but I'm also making it difficult haha though I do not think our relationship is completely lost. My brother is alright when he's not on the ps4 but I'll speak to my parents about him, or go to him
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the reply! My brother is 13 and I'm in year 11

I'll try to stick to a routine for myself, my parents have been toxic but I'm also making it difficult haha though I do not think our relationship is completely lost. My brother is alright when he's not on the ps4 but I'll speak to my parents about him, or go to him

No problem! And good plan, it's hard at the moment so if you need days off the just take them! I hope it works out for you all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending