The Student Room Group

Is there a deadline to learn A level Chemistry as a private candidate?

Hello, I would like to take A-level chemistry as a private candidate for summer 2021 exams and I have a 4 questions:

1.) Can I apply to do A level chemistry exams as a private candidate in my old sixth form even though I wasn't taught it? Or do I have to ask my sixth form this?

2.) Do courses + practical endorsements that teach A level chemistry have a deadline that you have to enter or can you join whenever?

3.) Do I only need to take the A level chemistry exams and practical endorsement for my A level chemistry grades to be legit?

4.) How much does it roughly cost overall to take A level chemistry exam with the practical endorsement?
Reply 1
1) Try asking (they're likely to be the cheapest option) but expect they will probably say no. Very few centres accept private candidates for the practical endorsements.
2) The main entry deadline at the exam board for the exams is 21 February - you can enter after that but it will cost more. Centres can make entries until mid November but I'd recommend you get looking then as it takes a while to find somewhere for the practical endorsement.
3). Not sure what else you could take? The assessment for A level Chemistry involves the (3) exams and the practical endorsement. What else are you thinking of?
4) The exam board entry fee is £85-£120, depending on exam board. How much the centre charges varies enormously, particularly if the practicals are involved, but https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Tutors-Exams-Fees-2020_21-2.pdf offers them at £1300
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
1) Try asking (they're likely to be the cheapest option) but expect they will probably say no. Very few centres accept private candidates for the practical endorsements.

Ohhhh thank you :biggrin: For the first question I'm a bit puzzled. Can't I take practical endorsement at another centre but take the actual A level chemistry exam at my sixth form? Or do I HAVE to take my exams under the same centre that I took my practical endorsement?
Reply 3
Original post by skidj
Ohhhh thank you :biggrin: For the first question I'm a bit puzzled. Can't I take practical endorsement at another centre but take the actual A level chemistry exam at my sixth form? Or do I HAVE to take my exams under the same centre that I took my practical endorsement?

As far as I understand it the Practical endorsement only applies to specification for use in England - international A levels all assess practical skills in other ways.

In England, the whole A level is entered in one place but it is possible (for a fee) to transfer the exams to an alternative centre.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
As far as I understand it the Practical endorsement only applies to specification for use in England - international A levels all assess practical skills in other ways.

In England, the whole A level is entered in one place but it is possible (for a fee) to transfer the exams to an alternative centre.

Ohhhh thank you. So if they won't be able to transfer the exams I have to take my 3 a levels in my sixth form and the extra a level at another place

Quick Reply

Latest