The Student Room Group

The UK should shut schools now

25k cases today and 13k cases on Saturday. The government should close schools now or lots of teachers and pupils who have asthma will lose their lives. People that do not have access to the internet should stay in school. What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrMemez1
25k cases today and 13k cases on Saturday. The government should close schools now or lots of teachers and pupils who have asthma will lose their lives. People that do not have access to the internet should stay in school. What are your opinions?

These were anomalies! They said that this is because they had a delay in reporting loads of cases so its making the figures much larger than normal. They should go down again tomorrow I believe, back to what we were getting last week. And kids need to stay in school now we saw how bad it went during last lockdown, many of them didn't do the work and its going to disrupt learning for those taking exams this academic year. If you really want to then u can tell those with asthma to shield at home if they want, but only 4 people that were 20 or younger have actually died without any underlying health conditions so its really not as bad healthwise for them. It's just the vulnerable people who need to be worried and take the right pre-cautions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SouthBridge24
These were anomalies! They said that this is because they had a delay in reporting loads of cases so its making the figures much larger than normal. They should go down again tomorrow I believe, back to what we were getting last week. And kids need to stay in school now we saw how bad it went during last lockdown, many of them didn't do the work and its going to disrupt learning for those taking exams this academic year. If you really want to then u can tell those with asthma to shield at home if they want, but only 4 people that were 20 or younger have actually died without any underlying health conditions so its really not as bad healthwise for them. It's just the vulnerable people who need to be worried and take the right pre-cautions.

A technical error you say, you cannot believe everything that the government says! If the government told me to drink bleach, should I do that?
Reply 3
Although they were anomalies by a total of 15k, it is still very high. If we assume they distributed it evenly between the past two days, it means the actual figures today is still around 15-16k, which is actually very high. If this keeps up, we probably will need a second lockdown.
Original post by Xarao
Although they were anomalies by a total of 15k, it is still very high. If we assume they distributed it evenly between the past two days, it means the actual figures today is still around 15-16k, which is actually very high. If this keeps up, we probably will need a second lockdown.

The economy can't have another full lockdown :frown:
It's gonna need a bit more thought that that I think. Close them until when? you need an answer. There is no clear 'right' way out of this, at least not now, 6 months we'd be in the exact same deal again.

To say nothing that a lot of parents simply are not in a position to home school, whats tto stop them just saying they don't have internet?
Reply 6
The economy can't have another full lockdown :frown:

I definitely agree with you, it can't. But can you weight peoples lives against money?

Should they **** parents need to go work they can’t stay at home caring for the kids
Reply 8
Original post by Xarao
I definitely agree with you, it can't. But can you weight peoples lives against money?

Lives against money. Lives you can never get back, however with the economy you can always come back (albeit slowly).
Original post by Xarao

It's about finding a middle-ground! You have to consider the long-term lives lost too! Lots of people are in big trouble because they can't get surgery and are dying from all that bc we are keeping beds free for covid related incidents.
Reply 10
The UK should've had a draconian lockdown in the first place, whereby no one can leave their houses for a month and everyone gets deliveries of food, like in South Korea. They are totally screwed on.
Reply 11
It's about finding a middle-ground! You have to consider the long-term lives lost too! Lots of people are in big trouble because they can't get surgery and are dying from all that bc we are keeping beds free for covid related incidents.

We actually have a whole hospital of beds that aren't being occupied. In fact, there's only 2428 patients right now in hospital for COVID-19 throughout the entire UK, so that can't really be used as an excuse. However, you're right, lives will be impacted long-term, specifically individuals with their mental health.
i mean the economy is already screwed tbh and god help me as i can't get a job atm, i keep trying and get nowhere, its just a mess. i've been trying and trying. ik a lot of other ppl just out of school also having the same problem rn its not good at all :frown: more opportunities need to become avaliable sooner or later or else we as a generation are screwed
Reply 13
Original post by Xarao

Yes. Would you spend 30k to save a person's life? 100k?

Think about the govenrment spending millions/billions during a lockdown and businesses closing forever. It's not feasible to repeat that mess no matter how many people will get sick because otherwise the country ends up a dying mess in all ways.
(edited 3 years ago)
The government should close schools now

It takes a little time to arrange it. Schools will be shut very soon.

(My phone autocorrected that to ****... Apt)
Original post by Xarao
We actually have a whole hospital of beds that aren't being occupied. In fact, there's only 2428 patients right now in hospital for COVID-19 throughout the entire UK, so that can't really be used as an excuse. However, you're right, lives will be impacted long-term, specifically individuals with their mental health.

as i said they are keeping beds FREE for the covid ppl and then u have a load of ppl who are missing out on stuff like cancer care, its not good man fr over 50,000 people have been unable to be seen on time and they are gonna die if they don't get the help in time. a lot more deaths than covid im telling u. we just need to live with covid now and just move on, life can't stay on hold forever, if ur vulnerable then u can shield if u want easy as that. but u can't stop people from staying off schools and work forever, they need people to be spending money and keeping the economy going else life is going to be really bad for so many more years post-covid...
It was inevitable that they'd close down, I had it pegged for October so we'll have to see over the coming weeks.

Nope there are c 9 million. If people are at serious risk they should shield and study online.
Nah schools should stay open but teachers need to start prepping in case schools shut.
Original post by 1st superstar
Nah schools should stay open but teachers need to start prepping in case schools shut.

I guarantee you schools will shut in October.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending