Turn on thread page Beta

am i wasting my time doing this degree... watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol how can a census-derived statistic be propaganda? Yes my point is that to start with they may not be paid as much / more but over time they can progress to jobs with bigger salaries: plus you have to take into consideration the number of highly paid jobs that you can't get without a degree (e.g. doctor / solicitor etc). Obviously that last bit doesnt hope you... but i wanted to point it out

ReputationRep:
    Of course people can come up with exceptions, but the fact still stands that on average, graduates have considerably higher lifetime (not just starting) earnings.

ReputationRep:
    Read This:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...246746,00.html

"A graduate is estimated to earn about £400,000 more than a non-graduate over a lifetime, while one report claimed there was a 17% difference in earnings between graduates and employees with A-levels."

Having a degree will definately make a difference, but ofcourse the subject you study and its revelance to the industry that you want to enter will be a major factor in making that difference.

When you say that you dont like your degree, is it the actual subject that you dont like? or the teaching of it? Cos if its the teaching then I recommend that you try to see if you can transfer to another uni that does a similar course. They might be able to transfer you u directly - depending on demand etc.

If however its the course itself then you shoud talk to ur uni tutor and they might be able to help you to transfer to a different department in your uni - they are normally quite helpful on matters like this.

Personally i have never heard of ur uni , so i cant really make a judgement on its reputation etc, but im sure you researched the uni before you decided to apply for it so you prob know that already.

Getting a degree is NEVER waste of time, But if you really think your going nowhere with your degree, then your options could be to:

1) Re-Apply to a differnt uni next year
    2) Transfer to a different course
    3) retake A-Levels and apply to a better uni (assuming you arent happy wid your results)
    4) go straight into employment - preferably one with a good training programme
    5) go on a gap year - always a resort when you have no idea what to do

I hope that has been some help, but do think CAREFULLY before leaving uni, try to discuss ur problem with ur tutor as well they can sometimes be quite helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Stay at Bolton!

If you aim to live around Bolton, or an area with few graduates, you'll be absolutely fine and employers will love you!

There will be problems if you move to an area with a high percentage of graduates, in which case Bolton may not top their places of study. But either way, you'll be well favoured over A-Level candidates and a degree is a degree!

ReputationRep:
    if i left school at 16 i could have been on £30K by now (admittedly as a Tesco Customer Service Manager )

ReputationRep:
    I can see the benefits from not going to uni. For example: :cool:

Here's 2 random people who have no social lives and look after their money

Mr Drop Out (lives with his parents rent free) (£2,000 year tax not included)

16 - earns £7,681 per year (as a supermarket worker)
    17 - has £15.362 in the bank
    18 - has £23.043 in the bank (becomes a department manager)
    19 - has £30.724 in the bank
    20 - has £38.405 in the bank
    21 - has £46.086 in the bank (becomes a store manager)
    22 - has £53.767 in the bank
    23 - has £61.448 in the bank
    24 - buys a flat, meets a girl, has kids

Mr Academic (lives with his parents rent-free)

16 - Completes AS-levels
    17 - Completes A-levels
    18 - Completes 1st Year at university
    19 - Completes 2nd Year at university
    20 - Completes 3rd Year at university (attains a 2:2 degree in Pie Studies)
    21 - Works at a supermarket and pays off a £10,000 debt
    22 - has £10,000 in the bank (can't find another job)
    23 - has £20,000 in the bank
    24 - Rents a flat, gets a telling off from Mr Drop Out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)

22 - has £53.767 in the bank
    23 - has £61.448 in the bank
    24 - buys a flat, meets a girl, has kids

Mr Academic (lives with his parents rent-free)

16 - Completes AS-levels
    17 - Completes A-levels
    18 - Completes 1st Year at university
    19 - Completes 2nd Year at university
    20 - Completes 3rd Year at university (attains a 2:2 degree in Pie Studies)
    21 - Works at a supermarket and pays off a £10,000 debt
    22 - has £10,000 in the bank (can't find another job)
    23 - has £20,000 in the bank
    24 - Rents a flat, gets a telling off from Mr Drop Out.
    Those are a little optimistic I feel. Nevertheless I agree with your point. I wouldn't be going to university if it wasn't a necessity for the job I wish to have. Having said that, uni is greeeaaaaat fun so I don't mind the debt.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe that person is earning more money than a graduate. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

ReputationRep:
    NIKNAK, ur laugh at your problems quote! Who actually sed tha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)

how many supermarket store managers do you know that are 21? :confused: tescos' youngest store manager, for example, is 26 (and they did the graduate recruitment scheme!). there's also hardly any retail department managers around at 18 y/o.

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of my non grad friends earn more than the grads. My non grad friends are people who had good A Levels but chose to work rather than do a degree.
    They went into accounting, customer services and banking and from working their way up own 10k plus more than my graduate friends.

BTW I know a non grad who was a supermarket manager at the age of 22. They are now an area manager of a different chain at 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Stay at Bolton!

If you aim to live around Bolton, or an area with few graduates, you'll be absolutely fine and employers will love you!

There will be problems if you move to an area with a high percentage of graduates, in which case Bolton may not top their places of study. But either way, you'll be well favoured over A-Level candidates and a degree is a degree!
    The problem the places that have lots of graudates also have more jobs. For example where I live 52% (census 2001) of the population are graduates, unemployment is also well below the national average. The problem with Bolton is there is not much graduate jobs, the main econemy in that area is Manchester, and Manchester of course flooded with graduates from many universities from all over the country.

However on the other side of the coin not that many graduates may want to live in the main part of Bolton which means when a graduate job does come up it could be easier to get. Its just that there at least 10 universities within a 35 miles radius of Bolton so its not like Bolton is the only university for miles around.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2004
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.