Can I ask for a reference before I have written the personal statement

Watch
Arsine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi!

So, I am doing my application process in UCAS now. I have asked one of my teachers to be my referee and they have agreed. But I don't have my final personal statement ready yet. So, I was wondering whether I can still get the reference from her and then add my personal statement, or it is necessary that I have the personal statement first? Will UCAS let me add the personal statement after the referece has been completed?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Arsine; 9 months ago
Mina Abdulkerim
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey there!
In my opinion it is better if start writing about your personal statement regarding the courses your interested more & I can help you with some tips to write your personal statement like what is your strong evidence to let you choose the course,how much your smart on your extracurricular activities, subjects that are helpful for your course...not only this but also how much your active on the subjects that are essential for your course.

Reference is simply sentence that reflects you more about your academics, extracurricular activities and any discipline focusing you. So, you can just start to write your personal statement while are discussing with your referee and your referee may also give some important ideas to begin and write your personal statement.

I hope it works for you I wish all the best with your application.

Thanks,👍
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The reference is added once you send it with your PS to your school (although they can send it back) - they can have your reference written before you submit though (and in fact, that would be the sensible thing to do)
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Most schools will want to do the final check on your entire application, add the reference and predictions, and send it off all in one go. You wont be able to read the reference, so I cant see any advantage in doing it that way round.

Just get the PS written, pay/send it and then the school can do their bit.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Arsine)
Hi!

So, I am doing my application process in UCAS now. I have asked one of my teachers to be my referee and they have agreed. But I don't have my final personal statement ready yet. So, I was wondering whether I can still get the reference from her and then add my personal statement, or it is necessary that I have the personal statement first? Will UCAS let me add the personal statement after the referece has been completed?

Thanks a lot!
That's not how it works - you need to add your PS then your school does the checking and adding of the reference.
Arsine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
That's not how it works - you need to add your PS then your school does the checking and adding of the reference.
Thanks, but what if I am applying as an individual, not as a part my school?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Are you a student at a school at the moment?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/a...0%93-how-apply

"There are a couple of ways to get a reference if you’re applying independently. If your previous school or college is happy to complete a reference, in the ‘Options’ section select ‘ask a registered school, college or centre to write a reference only’. This route needs a buzzword from the school or college – so you’d have to discuss it with them.

Alternatively, you can enter your referee’s contact details in the reference section. We’ll then send them an email with instructions on what to do. If you want to do this, make sure you ask your referee if they’ll be able to provide you with a reference before you send them a request. Once they’ve completed it, we’ll email you, and the reference section will be marked with a red tick."
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ya I have also applied as individual to be honest I first complete my personal statement then I complete my reference.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mina Abdulkerim)
Ya I have also applied as individual to be honest I first complete my personal statement then I complete my reference.
You don't complete your reference ... read what I posted.
Arsine
Rep:
?
Are you a student at a school at the moment?
Yes, I am.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes, I am.
The school will expect you to apply through them ...
Arsine
Rep:
?
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/a...0%93-how-apply

"There are a couple of ways to get a reference if you’re applying independently. If your previous school or college is happy to complete a reference, in the ‘Options’ section select ‘ask a registered school, college or centre to write a reference only’. This route needs a buzzword from the school or college – so you’d have to discuss it with them.

Alternatively, you can enter your referee’s contact details in the reference section. We’ll then send them an email with instructions on what to do. If you want to do this, make sure you ask your referee if they’ll be able to provide you with a reference before you send them a request. Once they’ve completed it, we’ll email you, and the reference section will be marked with a red tick."
Thank you! That was what I was asking. So, if applying independently, I can still get my reference done through my referee, even if I haven't added the PS to the UCAS, and then add the Statement on my own pace.
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You don't complete your reference ... read what I posted.
clear sentence I am telling you abt my own application I submitted before some week.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
clear sentence I am telling you abt my own application I submitted before some week.
You cannot write your own reference which is what you implied
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You cannot write your own reference which is what you implied
pardon me, I didn't say I write My reference by myself I have a referee at My school who wrote for My reference.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
pardon me, I didn't say I write My reference by myself I have a referee at My school who wrote for My reference.
You said and I quote: "...then I complete my reference." .... that implies you wrote it
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey there!
In my opinion it is better if start writing about your personal statement regarding the courses your interested more & I can help you with some tips to write your personal statement like what is your strong evidence to let you choose the course,how much your smart on your extracurricular activities, subjects that are helpful for your course...not only this but also how much your active on the subjects that are essential for your course.

Reference is simply sentence that reflects you more about your academics, extracurricular activities and any discipline focusing you. So,👉 you can just start to write your personal statement while are discussing with your referee 👈and your referee may also give some important ideas to begin and write your personal statement.

I hope it works for you I wish all the best with your application.

Thanks,👍

please read it carefully!!☝ I just put 👉👈 on the paragraph.
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You said and I quote: "...then I complete my reference." .... that implies you wrote it
please, you can write your ps by yourself and your referee will write your reference.okay!

It misunderstanding either me or you. if me am sorry🙏

Thanks,
Azaelia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which parts of my application can my referee see please? (I'm a mature student, so not applying through school).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.26%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads