Idk1156
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m applying to medicine this year but I’m not really sure which uni should I choose from oxbridge.

My predicted grades for a levels are: A* (eng lit), A* (bio) and A (chem).
I have four 7s for GCSE (eng language, bio, chem and physics) And one 8 (eng lit).
I still have yet done my BMAT but I’m leaning towards Cambridge because of my sort of weak GCSEs. But if I get a higher BMAT score I could apply for oxford. I’m not sure what my safest option is considering that I don’t take three sciences/mathematics for a levels (I only take two).

Which do you think is my safest option
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Idk1156)
Hi I’m applying to medicine this year but I’m not really sure which uni should I choose from oxbridge.

I have four 7s for GCSE (eng language, bio, chem and physics) And one 8 (eng lit).
I still have yet done my BMAT but I’m leaning towards Cambridge because of my sort of weak GCSEs. But if I get a higher BMAT score I could apply for oxford. I’m not sure what my safest option is considering that I don’t take three sciences/mathematics for a levels (I only take two).

Welcome to TSR. Oxbridge "overrules" Medicine so your thread is best placed here.

The answer to your question is pretty straightforward - unless you have mitigating circumstances you'd have virtually no chance at Oxford. So Cambridge it is.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

^^ Most people with 7 or 8 A*s (that's defined as Grade 8+) are rejected.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Cambridge, due to your GCSE results, but it's not a "safe" option.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Are those your only GCSEs?! Don't most med schools require at least maths GCSE or an equivalent? Worth searching e.g. https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...y-requirements

Yes as mentioned average Oxford entrant has 10.8A*s so... probably shouldn't apply there, unless there are major circumstances to explain why so few GCSEs and why not 8s and 9s.

And yeah I wouldn't phrase it as "safest option"! Are you a UK applicant? More than half of medical applicants get no offers at all. If international, the odds are about half that again.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 month ago
Idk1156
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Are those your only GCSEs?! Don't most med schools require at least maths GCSE or an equivalent? Worth searching e.g. https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...y-requirements

Yes as mentioned average Oxford entrant has 10.8A*s so... probably shouldn't apply there, unless there are major circumstances to explain why so few GCSEs and why not 8s and 9s.

And yeah I wouldn't phrase it as "safest option"! Are you a UK applicant? More than half of medical applicants get no offers at all. If international, the odds are about half that again.
Sorry for the confusion but I have all my GCSEs I just specified the ones from 7-8 grade
Idk1156
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Cambridge, due to your GCSE results, but it's not a "safe" option.
I guessed it wasn’t a safe option I think my chose of words were wrong, but I was thinking of Cambridge anyways. Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Welcome to TSR. Oxbridge "overrules" Medicine so your thread is best placed here.

The answer to your question is pretty straightforward - unless you have mitigating circumstances you'd have virtually no chance at Oxford. So Cambridge it is.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

^^ Most people with 7 or 8 A*s (that's defined as Grade 8+) are rejected.
i've just had a mini mini panic jolt, students applying next year will have had GCSEs given by corona which turned out to be a significant degree higher than previous years in results. Should i be in the slightest worried/deterred?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i've just had a mini mini panic jolt, students applying next year will have had GCSEs given by corona which turned out to be a significant degree higher than previous years in results. Should i be in the slightest worried/deterred?
There is no point worrying about things outside of your control, so no, you shouldn't be in the slightest bit worried.

Pick your choices next year, not now.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A significant degree higher than 94% A*? :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise