The Student Room Group

HELP economics A level question

Hey i really need some help with this question, can anyone just give some general advice on how they would go about it? I understand that the answer will be highly dependent on the type of industry, so for reference I'm referring to the tech industry. Thank you!

‘Revenue maximisation is a more realistic business objective than profit maximisation for many businesses.’
To what extent do you agree with this statement? Refer to an industry of your choice in your answer. (25 Marks)
Reply 1
Hi, I am just thinking that some industries have really large fixed costs, this may be applicable in the tech industry, and if so revenue max could generate greater profits as economic profit=revenue-costs.

Also if firm has perishable goods, such as a florist. These flowers would need to be sold before they wilt, and if not sold, they would have to be thrown away. In this case it is rational for the firm to aim to revenue max, to dispose of this stock to at least cover the costs of it.

Hope this help, I don't know what the mark scheme would say, but this is how I would start to approach it.
Original post by boohbah1
Hey i really need some help with this question, can anyone just give some general advice on how they would go about it? I understand that the answer will be highly dependent on the type of industry, so for reference I'm referring to the tech industry. Thank you!

‘Revenue maximisation is a more realistic business objective than profit maximisation for many businesses.’
To what extent do you agree with this statement? Refer to an industry of your choice in your answer. (25 Marks)

Hi, are you sitting the autumn exams by any chance?
Reply 3

Damn thats painful lol. I suppose you could argue how many start ups (think uber, spotify) don't make any profit for a number of years. I think the best industry would be the tech industry but that's just what comes to mind so idk.
Reply 4
Original post by active historian
Hi, are you sitting the autumn exams by any chance?

Hi, I'm currently year 13 so no, just autumn mocks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by gb2001
Hi, I am just thinking that some industries have really large fixed costs, this may be applicable in the tech industry, and if so revenue max could generate greater profits as economic profit=revenue-costs.

Also if firm has perishable goods, such as a florist. These flowers would need to be sold before they wilt, and if not sold, they would have to be thrown away. In this case it is rational for the firm to aim to revenue max, to dispose of this stock to at least cover the costs of it.

Hope this help, I don't know what the mark scheme would say, but this is how I would start to approach it.

Thank you! i hadn't thought of the perishable goods aspect !! :smile:
Hi, I'm currently year 13 so no, just autumn mocks :smile:

Ah, ok. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest