The Student Room Group

I need someone who applied for biological ience at Oxford Brookes,UCL,Westminster

Could someone be volunteer for the above question because I need more details on it.I have applied to this universities in biological science course.
Reply 1
Hi there!
I am a second year Biological Science student at the University of Westminster.

Let me know what you need to know about this course, I would be happy to answer any of your questions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kakram
Hi there!
I am a second year Biological Science student at the University of Westminster.

Let me know what you need to know about this course, I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Nice to hear from you! Well could able to provide for me information like what are the requirements,jobs you can get after you graduate,any other that you experienced with course???
Reply 3
Original post by Mina Abdulkerim
Nice to hear from you! Well could able to provide for me information like what are the requirements,jobs you can get after you graduate,any other that you experienced with course???

Hi there Mina!

hope you are well. The requirements are as follows:

"A levels CCC to BBB, to include two science subjects one from Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and one from Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Geography and Economics
International Baccalaureate 96 to 120 UCAS Tariff points from the IB including a minimum of 4 in two HL science subjects
BTEC Extended Diploma MMM to DDM in Applied Science
BTEC Diploma DD to D*D* in Applied Science
Access 96 to 120 UCAS Tariff points from the Access course
In addition to one of the above, you should have:

GCSE English Language grade 4/C IB grade 4 Higher level, GCSE Maths grade 4/C IB grade 4"

There is also the option to do the degree with foundation - so you do an extra year and cover Chem and Bio. I had A level Maths and Physics, so decided to do the degree with foundation year - and that was really the best option for me, as I needed the Chem and Bio foundation.

I am really enjoying the course, the level of support here is outstanding. The lecturers are very supportive and friendly. I spoke recently to a student who transferred from another uni to Westminster - and she said "I have had more support at Westminster in the first one week, than a whole year at ____". And we do hear feedback like that again and again.

Its a very diverse student population, and the location is also fantastic - very close to Regents Park, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road - its easy to travel into.

The course itself is very balanced: of course modules like Biochemistry and Physiology are core for 1st year, but you do get the option to choose optional modules too. In second year I have chosen "Molecular Biology and Genetics" and "Bioinformatics". Last year I chose Botany as an elective.
Biological Science is so broad - so you can build the degree towards what you are interested in. I am interested in genetics and gene editing, so have chosen modules that support that area.

As for jobs afterwards: there are soooo many!!! I know people who are doing (have done) the following:
- Masters degree (one girl got into Oxford University)
- PhD- if you want to do research.
- Medicine - YES - you can use this as a route to apply for graduate medicine! I know a few people who are.
- Biomedical related work.
- Science Journalism
- Science communication
- Physician Associate
- Medical Genetics
- Genetic Counselling
- protein modelling
- Bioinformatics
- Computational Biology
- Cancer
- Cancer Genetics.
- Microbiology
- Anti bacterial science.
- and much much more!

and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Because Biological Science is so broad and you can tailor the degree to what you are interested in as you take electives in year 1, 2 and 3 - really - the job opportunities are VAST! In the UK and overseas of course.

I am really happy here myself and have had the opportunity to really indulge in the kind of knowledge and learning that I was hoping for. I have already learned more than I expected - so that is probably the best feedback I can give you.

Additionally - one very important and continuous thread at Westminster is that they are training you to think like a scientist - its not just about getting the degree - its literally a training ground for how to think and act like a scientist. There are research projects run by some of the lectures - Genome editing, Bacteria Undersea - which are optional to get involved in. The social side of the uni is well represented, whether you are into BTS or Bhangra, or gaming or Spanish or Salsa - there is a society available - many of the societies are very active - e.g. Nutrition and Environmental Soc.

I hope this has given you some insight into what life as as student at Westminster is like.
Feel free to ask more questions if I have missed anything.
Original post by kakram
Hi there Mina!

hope you are well. The requirements are as follows:

"A levels CCC to BBB, to include two science subjects one from Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and one from Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Geography and Economics
International Baccalaureate 96 to 120 UCAS Tariff points from the IB including a minimum of 4 in two HL science subjects
BTEC Extended Diploma MMM to DDM in Applied Science
BTEC Diploma DD to D*D* in Applied Science
Access 96 to 120 UCAS Tariff points from the Access course
In addition to one of the above, you should have:

GCSE English Language grade 4/C IB grade 4 Higher level, GCSE Maths grade 4/C IB grade 4"

There is also the option to do the degree with foundation - so you do an extra year and cover Chem and Bio. I had A level Maths and Physics, so decided to do the degree with foundation year - and that was really the best option for me, as I needed the Chem and Bio foundation.

I am really enjoying the course, the level of support here is outstanding. The lecturers are very supportive and friendly. I spoke recently to a student who transferred from another uni to Westminster - and she said "I have had more support at Westminster in the first one week, than a whole year at ____". And we do hear feedback like that again and again.

Its a very diverse student population, and the location is also fantastic - very close to Regents Park, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road - its easy to travel into.

The course itself is very balanced: of course modules like Biochemistry and Physiology are core for 1st year, but you do get the option to choose optional modules too. In second year I have chosen "Molecular Biology and Genetics" and "Bioinformatics". Last year I chose Botany as an elective.
Biological Science is so broad - so you can build the degree towards what you are interested in. I am interested in genetics and gene editing, so have chosen modules that support that area.

As for jobs afterwards: there are soooo many!!! I know people who are doing (have done) the following:
- Masters degree (one girl got into Oxford University)
- PhD- if you want to do research.
- Medicine - YES - you can use this as a route to apply for graduate medicine! I know a few people who are.
- Biomedical related work.
- Science Journalism
- Science communication
- Physician Associate
- Medical Genetics
- Genetic Counselling
- protein modelling
- Bioinformatics
- Computational Biology
- Cancer
- Cancer Genetics.
- Microbiology
- Anti bacterial science.
- and much much more!

and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Because Biological Science is so broad and you can tailor the degree to what you are interested in as you take electives in year 1, 2 and 3 - really - the job opportunities are VAST! In the UK and overseas of course.

I am really happy here myself and have had the opportunity to really indulge in the kind of knowledge and learning that I was hoping for. I have already learned more than I expected - so that is probably the best feedback I can give you.

Additionally - one very important and continuous thread at Westminster is that they are training you to think like a scientist - its not just about getting the degree - its literally a training ground for how to think and act like a scientist. There are research projects run by some of the lectures - Genome editing, Bacteria Undersea - which are optional to get involved in. The social side of the uni is well represented, whether you are into BTS or Bhangra, or gaming or Spanish or Salsa - there is a society available - many of the societies are very active - e.g. Nutrition and Environmental Soc.

I hope this has given you some insight into what life as as student at Westminster is like.
Feel free to ask more questions if I have missed anything.

Outstanding help kakram!! It so essential and useful as am new international undergraduate student.

Quick Reply

Latest