Umayrc63
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, is epq really worth it. Does is help with uni, is it just going to add stress. is it pointless?

Will it really affect my further studies?

Thanks in advance
BenM8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of is it worth it, it largely depends on what Uni you want to go to. I think 1/3 of Unis make offers based off of UCAS Points. (With the other 2/3 making offers based off Grades; BCC for example).
If your Uni makes UCAS point offers, EPQ directly contributes to that. (Look up "UCAS Tariff EPQ" and look on images, you'll find a table).
Regardless of how Unis make offers, almost all will appreciate proof of EPQ on a Personal Statement.

I don't know what subjects you are taking, or how well you are doing in them, but EPQ is definitely another challenge on top of your A-Level courses.
Most 6th forms should let you drop EPQ at any point, so if you are being overwhelmed by your courses, you can drop EPQ when you need to.

Conclusion: EPQs are valuable, but not as much as your A Levels.
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Umayrc63)
Hi, is epq really worth it. Does is help with uni, is it just going to add stress. is it pointless?

Will it really affect my further studies?

Thanks in advance
Chose to do EPQ in Y13. Predicted A*. Applied for Law at Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol. Received offer from all them. Then, dropped EPQ.

It depends if you can use it strategically .
Umayrc63
Rep:
?
t

(Original post by BenM8)
In terms of is it worth it, it largely depends on what Uni you want to go to. I think 1/3 of Unis make offers based off of UCAS Points. (With the other 2/3 making offers based off Grades; BCC for example).
If your Uni makes UCAS point offers, EPQ directly contributes to that. (Look up "UCAS Tariff EPQ" and look on images, you'll find a table).
Regardless of how Unis make offers, almost all will appreciate proof of EPQ on a Personal Statement.

I don't know what subjects you are taking, or how well you are doing in them, but EPQ is definitely another challenge on top of your A-Level courses.
Most 6th forms should let you drop EPQ at any point, so if you are being overwhelmed by your courses, you can drop EPQ when you need to.

Conclusion: EPQs are valuable, but not as much as your A Levels.
(Original post by lancpe2002)
Chose to do EPQ in Y13. Predicted A*. Applied for Law at Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol. Received offer from all them. Then, dropped EPQ.

It depends if you can use it strategically .
will all unis offer reduction of requirements. Plus will reductions be on all subjects offered in uni, or specific?
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
t

will all unis offer reduction of requirements. Plus will reductions be on all subjects offered in uni, or specific?
Not all unis do that, mine did not. Reductions are generally specific.
Umayrc63
Rep:
?
(Original post by lancpe2002)
Not all unis do that, mine did not. Reductions are generally specific.
do you know which subjects, would it be subjects related to english maybe?
BenM8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you know which subjects, would it be subjects related to english maybe?
Reductions are by Uni, not by Course.
Look at the Unis' websites that you are interested in, and look at their courses you like, and it should say the requirements.
If not, try searching the Uni and Course on UCAS.
Last edited by BenM8; 1 month ago
Umayrc63
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenM8)
Reductions are by Uni, not by Course.
Look at the Unis' websites that you are interested in, and look at their courses you like, and it should say the requirements.
If not, try searching the Uni and Course on UCAS.
yes, im aware reductions are by uni. But im saying can they reduce any subject you choose. Or specific ones.

Plus, is it only top unis that offer reductions?
BenM8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, im aware reductions are by uni. But im saying can they reduce any subject you choose. Or specific ones.

Plus, is it only top unis that offer reductions?
It should be for all courses from specific unis (unis either do reduce entry if you have EPQ or don't, across all subjects).
And it's usually the top unis that don't, and the mid to low unis that offer the reductions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads