The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Economics Applicants Thread 2021

Hello to all fellow 2021 applicants for Cambridge Economics!

I thought I would create a thread for us to discuss how our applications are going, ECAA preparation, interview preparation and anything to do with Cambridge or economics in general.

To start off: how is everyone's ECAA preparation going?

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quite badly tbh, aside from resources on their website, I haven't got much else. You?
Reply 2
Original post by confuzzledteen
Quite badly tbh, aside from resources on their website, I haven't got much else. You?

At the moment, I have been revising for the upcoming mocks at my school, however, I have been doing some past papers for the ECAA and mainly doing the maths questions. It's not that much different to AS Level Maths so I'm not finding it too bad.
What are you finding bad about it in particular? and I'll try to support you or give any additional. advice based on what I have done.
Original post by k86754
At the moment, I have been revising for the upcoming mocks at my school, however, I have been doing some past papers for the ECAA and mainly doing the maths questions. It's not that much different to AS Level Maths so I'm not finding it too bad.
What are you finding bad about it in particular? and I'll try to support you or give any additional. advice based on what I have done.

Aw that's sweet of you, thank you! I guess the lack of worked solutions available for the 2016-2019 papers (Advanced Mathematics section) has been a struggle, as some questions I'm unable to work out by myself hence need worked solutions - which aren't available. How did you overcome this?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what predicted grades have you got & where else are you applying? :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, I agree, that is a nuisance not having any worked solutions. I often just check what the correct answer is and then see how this could possibly have been worked out- sorry that this isn't of much help. I'm also sure if you ask me or anyone else on TSR on specific questions you don't understand then they will be able to help you.

I remember you saying in the Cambridge Applicants forum that you aren't from the UK. What qualifications do you do or do you still do A Levels? I ask this because if you look at the maths specification for the ECAA, it is very similar to the first year of A Level maths. Therefore, it may be beneficial to spend some time looking at some resources for this but remember, Cambridge regard a strong ECAA score as around 50-60% so you don't need to know how to do every question as using elimination to know which answers are wrong can often help.

What preparation have you done for the essay section? I haven't started that yet.

My predicted grades are A*A*A*A* and I am also applying to LSE, UCL and Warwick. Where else are you applying?
Your method is sensible though & thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely post questions on TSR that I'm struggling to work out answers to x

I still do A levels as I go to a British International School. So just AS Mathematics, then?

I haven't done much (if any) preparation for the essay bit, tbh I feel like it's almost impossible to prepare for. I do intend however to read through some key macro & micro concepts from my textbook, and just know key facts which hopefully will make writing the essay easier. Plus, you're given an extract so I think it'd be somewhat possible to work out the answers from it, or have ideas of what to write about.

Those are amazing predicted grades! I've applied to the same as you + Bath
Reply 6
Yes I do AQA A Level Maths and having read through the ECAA specification, there's only 2 things that I didn't cover in the first year (AS Level) which were sequences and series, and modulus graphs.

Good luck with your application!!
I've noticed that sequences & series come up super often in the ECAA papers, so definitely worth revising for - and thank you, you too! :smile:

You seem well informed so I hope you don't mind me asking a question regarding Personal Statements. I've sent off my UCAS Application so I can't change it anymore, but I was never informed that one should use paragraphs. My teacher told me to just send in continuous text, which I did.. But have now realised that what I did was wrong & paragraphs are preferred. How much do you reckon this will affect my chances of receiving offers?
Reply 8
Original post by confuzzledteen
I've noticed that sequences & series come up super often in the ECAA papers, so definitely worth revising for - and thank you, you too! :smile:

You seem well informed so I hope you don't mind me asking a question regarding Personal Statements. I've sent off my UCAS Application so I can't change it anymore, but I was never informed that one should use paragraphs. My teacher told me to just send in continuous text, which I did.. But have now realised that what I did was wrong & paragraphs are preferred. How much do you reckon this will affect my chances of receiving offers?

I doubt it will affect your chances at all. You won't be the only person who doesn't use paragraphs as the 47 line restriction often makes it difficult to use paragraphs and still include everything you want to talk about. The only reason people use paragraphs is to make it a bit easier to read and split up sections of your PS so the admissions team can assess everything you say a bit easier. But as I said, it won't affect your chances as if the quality and content is still very good, then that's all that matters.
Original post by k86754
I doubt it will affect your chances at all. You won't be the only person who doesn't use paragraphs as the 47 line restriction often makes it difficult to use paragraphs and still include everything you want to talk about. The only reason people use paragraphs is to make it a bit easier to read and split up sections of your PS so the admissions team can assess everything you say a bit easier. But as I said, it won't affect your chances as if the quality and content is still very good, then that's all that matters.

Ahh, thank you so much for this reassurance. I actually had extra lines - so I feel foolish for not having left spaces/ used paragraphs but I suppose that dwelling on that will make it even worse. I'm glad that format doesn't really matter, rather the quality and content. x
Original post by a12345n12345
Hey guys! There sure is very limited stuff out there but all we can do is try our best and hope that we will be fine! What are your predicted grades, options and GCSE results? Also what colleges are you applying to?

Agreed.. I'm predicted A*A*A*A (Maths, Chem, Econ, FM) + A* for EPQ.
By options, if you mean universities, then Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick (same 4 as OP) & Bath.
For my GCSEs, I got 9999999A*AA
I've applied to Robinson.
Wbu? x
Do you guys think it's just a studentroom thing or does literally everyone applying to Cambridge Economics have like 3A*+ predicted with almost all 9s? Outside of the ECAA it's just going to be who performs best at interview, which could have a lot of luck involved (depending on the questions)
Original post by EconHopeful
Do you guys think it's just a studentroom thing or does literally everyone applying to Cambridge Economics have like 3A*+ predicted with almost all 9s? Outside of the ECAA it's just going to be who performs best at interview, which could have a lot of luck involved (depending on the questions)

Yeah, definitely - but then again, there is a positive correlation between people who are high achievers at school & those who use TSR, as I'm sure those who get mediocre grades/ aren't too fussed about school wouldn't be here avidly reading threads.
Yep, ECAA, interview.. I guess PS & Grades do sort of matter but not as much as those two.
Reply 13

Interview certainly has the biggest influence on whether you get an offer or not. As long as you get an average score or above on the ECAA, you should be fine. With regards to predicted grades, students applying to Cambridge are likely to be at the top of their school so teachers will predict them A*s. Cambridge requires A*A*A so a lot of students, including those not on TSR will have 3 or 4 A*s. However, whether someone has 2A* or 4A* will probably only be used as a deciding factor if the 2 students have equal interview scores, ECAA scores and personal statements.
Hiii! It's been a while since I've used TSR (hence the username :/) but I've also applied to do econ at Cambridge (I chose Christ's college). My main preparation has been just doing Section A from the ones I can find online to hone in on that exam technique because idk if it's just me but it takes me so long to work through it?? But mainly I find it super hard to prepare for the essay part and think that'll be the part that leads to my downfall </3
Reply 15
Original post by diana2018
Hiii! It's been a while since I've used TSR (hence the username :/) but I've also applied to do econ at Cambridge (I chose Christ's college). My main preparation has been just doing Section A from the ones I can find online to hone in on that exam technique because idk if it's just me but it takes me so long to work through it?? But mainly I find it super hard to prepare for the essay part and think that'll be the part that leads to my downfall </3

I think as long as you keep up to date with current economic affairs and know the structure of a good essay then you will be fine. Just remember that everyone will be in the same boat as you and most people will struggle to prepare for it.
May I ask what A Levels you do and your predicted grades and GCSEs? Also, what other universities have you applied to?
Reply 16
What college has everyone applied to?

I chose Downing because of its amazing accommodation and facilities and I also quite liked the mix of modern and traditional architecture.
Original post by k86754
What college has everyone applied to?

I chose Downing because of its amazing accommodation and facilities and I also quite liked the mix of modern and traditional architecture.

I chose Robinson as I love how small & relaxed it is ++ they've got amazing music and art facilities and clubs, and as I love playing in orchestras, I'm quite keen for this x
Changed mine to Catz. I don't really know why but it I just thought it had a good balance of everything (eg close to both the town centre and the economics faculty, good accommodation etc.).
Reply 19
Changed mine to Catz. I don't really know why but it I just thought it had a good balance of everything (eg close to both the town centre and the economics faculty, good accommodation etc.).

What are your predicted grades and GCSEs, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what other universities are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending