The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Economics Applicants Thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asdf2003
I am. Nice to meet another pembroke applicant.

Best of luck mate - you chose the best college! No doubt we'll see each other next year.
Original post by diana_rita
thank u strawberrydreams, didn’t even think of that!

I’ve just been told to self isolate cause of close contact with someone who has tested positive so looks like I’ll be sitting the ECAA from home </3

No worries!

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I hope you're doing ok
Reply 62
thank u strawberrydreams, didn’t even think of that!

I’ve just been told to self isolate cause of close contact with someone who has tested positive so looks like I’ll be sitting the ECAA from home </3

Has Cambridge said that this is what you have to do? I didn't know that they were letting students sit the ECAA from home.
They have already said that if you are unable to access a test centre then computer-based tests can go ahead at home but for a paper-based test like ECAA, I thought they said that if students couldn't access a centre, then they didn't have to do it.
This means that there will be some students who won't have done the ECAA this year so it will be interesting to see how that affects the admissions process.
Hi - I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, LSE, UCL and got an unconditional from Exeter for Economics.

Yeah - I was wondering if anyone knew what was happening about those who couldn't take the test due to Covid (not me but I was wondering in general).

Also, there has been literally nothing on the online interviews yet and I am wondering how much they have actually planned for them. I know they are used to some Skype interviews for some international students but I don't see how they will work and I'm worried about things like what if I lose internet connection lol!!
Original post by wbanner2001
Hi - I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, LSE, UCL and got an unconditional from Exeter for Economics.

Yeah - I was wondering if anyone knew what was happening about those who couldn't take the test due to Covid (not me but I was wondering in general).

Also, there has been literally nothing on the online interviews yet and I am wondering how much they have actually planned for them. I know they are used to some Skype interviews for some international students but I don't see how they will work and I'm worried about things like what if I lose internet connection lol!!

You can find Cambridge Assessment's statement here: https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/360049903692

To cut a long story short - if you can't take the test, and it's paper-based (like the ECAA), Cambridge Assessment will inform the Admissions Office.
Original post by k86754
Has Cambridge said that this is what you have to do? I didn't know that they were letting students sit the ECAA from home.
They have already said that if you are unable to access a test centre then computer-based tests can go ahead at home but for a paper-based test like ECAA, I thought they said that if students couldn't access a centre, then they didn't have to do it.
This means that there will be some students who won't have done the ECAA this year so it will be interesting to see how that affects the admissions process.

Original post by DJTrump
You can find Cambridge Assessment's statement here: https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/360049903692

To cut a long story short - if you can't take the test, and it's paper-based (like the ECAA), Cambridge Assessment will inform the Admissions Office.

thank you for sending the link! I hadn’t found any information and my school hadn’t got back to me so I am v grateful. I thought it’d be like the BMAT and I just would sit it at home. Hopefully it doesn’t put me in a bad position for my application :frown: I guess if I do get an interview it will be more PS based which could be a pro or a con
In the ECAA essay, are they looking for diagrams and full A level style first principles explanations, or is it enough to just state your point and get on with analysing its effects?

Also, St Catharine's anyone?
Reply 67
How is everyone's ECAA preparation going?

Are you feeling more confident about the maths or essay?

What have you been doing to prepare for both sections?

What scores are you currently getting/ what score do you hope to get?
Reply 68
Yea same, I am unable to write the ECAA as I have been asked by my school to self-isolate. I was wondering if students like me would be disadvantaged in any way or if we'll have to take a retest another day??
Original post by :))((:
Yea same, I am unable to write the ECAA as I have been asked by my school to self-isolate. I was wondering if students like me would be disadvantaged in any way or if we'll have to take a retest another day??

from the link that was sent, we won't be taking our ECAA at all which makes me so sad especially because I spent a lot of time practising. i still haven't heard anything from my school/centre directly but am planning on emailing my college to make sure it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage. i guess different colleges may say different things so maybe that could be something you do.
Reply 70
from the link that was sent, we won't be taking our ECAA at all which makes me so sad especially because I spent a lot of time practising. i still haven't heard anything from my school/centre directly but am planning on emailing my college to make sure it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage. i guess different colleges may say different things so maybe that could be something you do.

Do you reckon the alternative option would be harder? I don't know I feel like they may ask us to submit written work or do assessments right before the interview.
Reply 71
Do you reckon the alternative option would be harder? I don't know I feel like they may ask us to submit written work or do assessments right before the interview.

And please do let me know when you receive a reply. I have sent an email to the college I've applied to. (Trinity if you're wondering)
Reply 72
I am an applicant from the Netherlands, hence I'm not completely familiar with all of the english a-level maths stuff. Does anyone know of a website were you can practice a-level material?
Reply 73
Original post by hugo_nl
I am an applicant from the Netherlands, hence I'm not completely familiar with all of the english a-level maths stuff. Does anyone know of a website were you can practice a-level material?

https://www.examsolutions.net/ I use this to practice a level stuff that I'm not confident with as it gives you the solution as well :smile:
Reply 74

I doubt there will be an alternative, especially as it would be such short notice with interview invites being given out in around 2 weeks.
Reply 75
Do people prefer the old-style ECAA with problem solving or the new style with just maths?
Reply 76
Original post by k86754
Do people prefer the old-style ECAA with problem solving or the new style with just maths?

I don't actually know which one i prefer but i think this new style is very very time pressured!!!!! :frown: is it just me who thinks that? Like if only i had some more time...
Original post by k86754

Original post by g.ana
I don't actually know which one i prefer but i think this new style is very very time pressured!!!!! :frown: is it just me who thinks that? Like if only i had some more time...

I'm liking the new one. I hated that problem solving, plus the extra 20 minutes on the essay is a lifesaver. But I agree that maths section is super tight on time:s-smilie:
Reply 78
Original post by g.ana

Original post by worldrecordgaz
I'm liking the new one. I hated that problem solving, plus the extra 20 minutes on the essay is a lifesaver. But I agree that maths section is super tight on time:s-smilie:

Some of the problem solving ones were particularly annoying and wordy. I prefer the new style, however, it's not great that there is only one practice paper to do.
Reply 79
Original post by worldrecordgaz

that's true - i suppose it helps you construct a better argument but honestly I'd rather we get 20 more minutes in the maths section haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending