The Student Room Group

Primary school teaching

Am I better off doing a teaching degree for a teaching occupation or would it better to do an apprenticeship in it from starting from teaching assistant and working myself up?
Original post by Jasminf
Am I better off doing a teaching degree for a teaching occupation or would it better to do an apprenticeship in it from starting from teaching assistant and working myself up?

You currently need a degree to qualify as a teacher, so even if you did an apprenticeship, you'd need to do a degree at some stage. You can be an unqualified teacher without a degree, but the pay is not great and there is very limited career progression.

Personally, if you are sure you want to teach, I think an undergraduate education degree is the way forwards, but if you have any doubt, then a degree in a national curriculum subject followed by a PGCE would be better.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You currently need a degree to qualify as a teacher, so even if you did an apprenticeship, you'd need to do a degree at some stage. You can be an unqualified teacher without a degree, but the pay is not great and there is very limited career progression.

Personally, if you are sure you want to teach, I think an undergraduate education degree is the way forwards, but if you have any doubt, then a degree in a national curriculum subject followed by a PGCE would be better.

Oh right, understood. Thank you for your help.
Hi @Jasminf

Please do take a little look at https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options this may help you to have an insight into the options available.

Hope that helps
Olivia
Hi @Jasminf,

In order to become a qualified primary school teacher you must have a degree and also complete a PGCE. I am currently a second year student at CU Scarborough on the Primary Education and Teaching Studies degree. During my three year degree I have the opportunity to complete placements in local primary schools alongside my assignments which gives me the experiences needed as well as the knowledge. Once I have finished my degree, I will also need to complete a PGCE in order to be a qualified teacher.

It is not necessary to do a degree in Primary Education but it can be beneficial due to the placement hours and specific modules necessary for your future career.

If you have any further questions, please ask away.

Thanks
Mel - Student Ambassador at CU Scarborough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending