The Student Room Group

A level Spanish essays aqa

I’m in year 12 and I need to plan and write an essay on the roles of women in the film volver. I’m doing the AQA paper.
I would just like someone to help me and tell me a good layout and structure to write my essay
(It’s okay if you don’t know about the topic, I just need to know a good structure)
Thankyou
Original post by mariethetree
I’m in year 12 and I need to plan and write an essay on the roles of women in the film volver. I’m doing the AQA paper.
I would just like someone to help me and tell me a good layout and structure to write my essay
(It’s okay if you don’t know about the topic, I just need to know a good structure)
Thankyou

I haven't seen this film so I can't help you with this specifically, but seeing as nobody here has been able to help you at all, I hope you will find these more general notes helpful.

I'm sure you know that a standard essay has three main parts: introduction, development of ideas, and conclusion.

To structure a good essay you need to build up to the conclusion, because that will give a direction to your essay. So that's where you start your work. In your mind, and then on a piece of paper, make a note of what your conclusion is going to be - just in a couple of sentences or phrases. Basically, this is an ultra short answer to the question.

Then, still working on your piece of paper, make a note of the main points that you are going to use to back up your conclusion. If there are any controversial points to bring up, all the better - make sure on these that you look at both sides of the argument. Always check that each point you make does, indeed, relate to your conclusion!

Now look at all these points and put them in a readable order. If possible, work out links between the different points - this is nice but not essential.

You are now ready to tackle the introduction. Start off by imagining that your reader does not know what the subject is that you are going to write about, and that it is therefore your job to give that information - in short, you're re-phrasing the question. A good introduction will also include points about why this subject is interesting and/or important, and it will then also briefly say how you are going to tackle the subject.

You can now write out your points in the "readable order" as set out in your notes. Each point must refer to your subject explicitly - either with a quotation, or with a reference to a scene in the film, etc.

You are then ready to write up your conclusion. The simplest idiot-proof conclusion consists simply of padding out your short answer. A really good conclusion, however, is more difficult to write as it needs to briefly - without repetition! - summarise the main points and controversies in your essay before you give your padded-out short answer. If possible and/or relevant, a good conclusion should also include an opening to a wider perspective - maybe by referring to similar themes in other arts (eg literature, theatre, fine arts...) or other works by the same author (or film director, etc.) on the same theme. This last bit is really hard as it requires a lot of general knowledge. There is also a very fine line between a wider perspective and a new point introduced in your conclusion, which you should never, never do. So don't tackle this last bit unless you're pretty confident - it is not essential, just a cherry on the cake.

I hope this helps; re-post or send me a message if things are not clear. Suerte!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending