pancakie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know we’re barely into this uni year but I’ve recently been thinking about accommodation for next year as I’m starting to get tired of my flat now (been in the same room for two years). I’m quite introverted and I like my alone time so I was possibly considering getting a studio next year. Both this year and last I didn’t really bond with my flatmates the way I had hoped so the idea of not having flatmates next year doesn’t bother me.
The only thing I’m particularly worried about is cost for rent. There is some studios in my accommodation that I had a look at but they’re all around £200 a week and I’m not entirely sure if that’s too much as I have nothing to go off. So I just want to know what would be a good price for a student studio? I’m not really looking for anything too big or fancy just kinda my own place for the year. To put things into perspective, my current rent is about £95 for a basic en-suite.

Thankyou
JellyFox
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in the exact same boat so I have been doing some research about them too. I currently pay £375 per month to rent a room in a 7 bedroom house share, and I don't get my own bathroom, so your rent right now is SUPER cheap.

From what I've seen, studios rented from private student accommodation companies tend to cost around £500-£700 per month, that will get you a decent, modern double studio room with a nice bathroom and kitchen. However, if you are used to only paying £95 per week that would be a bit of a jump in cost. The good news is, almost all private student accommodation companies include bills in the rent, so the price they show is usually the exact price you would pay.

The other option (I have looked into this for myself too) is renting from a landlord/agency. Have a look at estate agents near your university and draft a letter stating who you are and what you're ideally looking for, as well as your ideal price range etc. I did this and sent it to a few estate agents who have now added me on to mailing lists, meaning I will be contacted as soon as the tenancies for next year come out (one bed flats, studio rooms etc.) These do tend to be cheaper as they're just privately owned buildings rather than big university halls. This would probably be slightly more lonely as you wouldnt be put in a corridor of flats like you would with a student accommodation but it doesnt really matter if it isn't something you're bothered about.

Good luck!
Anna19654
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pancakie)
I know we’re barely into this uni year but I’ve recently been thinking about accommodation for next year as I’m starting to get tired of my flat now (been in the same room for two years). I’m quite introverted and I like my alone time so I was possibly considering getting a studio next year. Both this year and last I didn’t really bond with my flatmates the way I had hoped so the idea of not having flatmates next year doesn’t bother me.
The only thing I’m particularly worried about is cost for rent. There is some studios in my accommodation that I had a look at but they’re all around £200 a week and I’m not entirely sure if that’s too much as I have nothing to go off. So I just want to know what would be a good price for a student studio? I’m not really looking for anything too big or fancy just kinda my own place for the year. To put things into perspective, my current rent is about £95 for a basic en-suite.

Thankyou
I completely feel you! I'm introverted too, and during my second year of uni living with 7 of my friends I literally couldn't take it anymore. So during third year I stayed in a studio and it was the best decision I ever made. There were a few occasions when I got a little lonely but my friends were nearby in a house together so it wasn't too much of a problem.

I guess it depends on where you're located? My studio was £145 a week in Newcastle Upon Tyne, it was a new build, small but modern. I doubt you'd get anything really nice for much less than that, although i'm sure there are some budget ones about. I'd suggest if possible you look at other accommodations because shopping around is how I found the best deal. On top of that, new build accommodations that are looking for students are usually cheaper as it's their first year open and they're trying to build a reputation, so consider that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (733)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads