The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
there is a foreign office number to call if ur worried about anyone

Reply 21
LemonLime
there is a foreign office number to call if ur worried about anyone

Thanks for that. I think we'll give it some time. No doubt they'll be calling us when they can.

btw, thanks to you too, technik
Reply 22
Thats so sad :frown: Mockel, i hope everything is ok and that your family are safe :frown:

Why does stuff like this happen at Christmas of all times of the year! It really puts a big downer on the whole thing :frown:
Reply 23
Mad Vlad
Thats so sad :frown: Mockel, i hope everything is ok and that your family are safe :frown:

Why does stuff like this happen at Christmas of all times of the year! It really puts a big downer on the whole thing :frown:

the majority of the world dont celebrate christmas btw
Reply 24
Does anybody know how badly Bali was affected? The only thing I can find about Indonesia mentions that the northern tip was most badly affected, and the BBC map showing the affected area cuts off halfway down Indonesia. A good friend of mine from uni is there for a wedding at the moment...
Reply 25
Yeah I was worried about my friend who is on holiday travelling around that area of the world. Just found out that she is currently in Fiji though so I am relieved!
Death toll greater than 9000.
This is awful.
Reply 27
The earthquake was recorded several hours before the waves struck - so were people warned?
Reply 28
TheWolf
The earthquake was recorded several hours before the waves struck - so were people warned?

They probably didn't expect it, especially in India and Sri Lanka.
Then again, I read somewhere that the first tsunami was in Chile, and it travelled approximately 10000 km to Japan (and 138 people died), so I guess they should have been a bit more weary.
Reply 29
communications are hardly top notch in that part of the world as a whole...
Reply 30
its all about communications and people actually talking to other people. tsunami warnings can be available but if the information doesnt get to the people then its useless. unfortunatly it seems to be like this all over the world, thus when extreme events like this happen people can do nothing
Reply 31
My uncle and aunt are in india. I really hope they are ok. Inshallah (what we muslims say as what god wills to happen will happen) they and anyone else people are worried about will be ok.
Reply 32
whats even worse is that now thousands more will die from cholera and typhoid, because the water supplies will be contaminated. such a waste because something like that is so easily preventable as well.

we've driven down the coast road in india where some of the waves struck :s-smilie:
Reply 33
What are the estimates of the strength of the aftershocks?
Reply 34
mockel
BBC News
Sky News
The links haven't been updated, but I've heard that there's at least 1000 dead in Sri Lanka, and hundreds more in other South East Asian coutries.

I feel absolutely devastated :frown:
My cousin in (South) India has told us that there were a few hundred who died on the beach closeby. In fact, I've been to someone's house who lives by that beach.
There's also various places in Sri Lanka that I've been to that have probably flooded. And then there's all our relatives/friends visiting Sri Lanka- I have no idea what's happened to them :frown:

I just pray that all goes well.

We have a house on that beach:frown: Apparently the windows were damaged and there was some flooding.
Reply 35
TheWolf
What are the estimates of the strength of the aftershocks?

~7 on the Richter Scale, I think I read.
Well, it's def big news here in Aus - news coverage every few minutes atm.

It's so sad :frown: I feel sorry for all the people involved.

Mockel, have you found out if any1 you know was hurt?? I hope not for ur sake!

Sending heaps of goodluck,

Danni x
Reply 37
theres like what 6000 dead?

Saw it on the Russian News this morning on SBS followed by the Spanish and French news, couldnt understand much but still.
Reply 38
I agree with the comments made regarding future press coverage comapred to the twin towers incident.
It's such a tradgedy since so many people have died (10,000 and counting last I heard...) but also since the countries involved don't have an infrastructure in place that can cope for such catastrophies...I can even comprehend the number of people it's going to affect.
:frown:
Reply 39
CNN now says 14,000 confirmed dead.

Latest

Trending

Trending