The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well we know how many people are dead but what about their pets!
Everdawn
Well we know how many people are dead but what about their pets!

Yeah good point. And all the poor trees destroyed, ripped from their roots to die an awful death...

No1 ever mentions them :frown:

Well obviously we're human, that's why, and with the toll reaching 60,000, I'm not surprised. But it's a disaster that affects every living thing, I think.
Reply 82
Well I got thinking about it when I was wathcing it with my cat and I couldnt help but think that there must be a lot of their pets that they love either missing or dead as well.
OMG...i think one of the german teachers in school is missing in thailand. i was watching the news and it said one of the missing people is a german teacher from hk...and i saw a woman who's his gf holding his picture crying...saying he was on Phi-Phi Island. My friend saw him on the news too. I really hope we're wrong. He was an incredibly nice teacher. If it really was him...it would be the 2nd death already in school since november...i think i'm going to be sick.
does anybody know how to give money to the asia quake disaster other than by credit card, (i.e. any where i can give casH)????
Reply 85
Its very unlikely Somalia will get alot of help as the country is in civil war with its self and there are alot of warlords who will shot anyone whos not a native to south somalia. (they really hate north somalias and will kill them in an instant). I am really praying 4 the dead it was a huge tradegy. Its easy to donate money u can even donate money to ur local Oxfam or Red Cross I donated £20 i know its not much but anything helps.
Reply 86
Wow, the death toll is actually insane. I still haven't heard any news from my friend who's backpacking around Asia. He's on the Andaman Islands at the moment and I just hope he's going to be ok especially considering the number of deaths on that island is supposed to be around 7000.
Reply 87
kieshaxxx
Wow, the death toll is actually insane. I still haven't heard any news from my friend who's backpacking around Asia. He's on the Andaman Islands at the moment and I just hope he's going to be ok especially considering the number of deaths on that island is supposed to be around 7000.

Aww, I really hope he is ok. My ex bfs dad and sister moved out to Malaysia last year, I expect they're ok though as there weren't many deaths there. Don't really want to randomly text/call him asking if he knows anything. Seems a bit random/weird/over-reacting-ish. :frown:
Reply 88
Asian cutie
does anybody know how to give money to the asia quake disaster other than by credit card, (i.e. any where i can give casH)????

Theres an address on the red cross website.
Reply 89
damn this thing is real bad - over 100 000 nearly dead; that is worse than the deaths in Tambora, Indonesia in 1815, when 90 000 people died!!!!!
Reply 90
Tinykates
Aww, I really hope he is ok. My ex bfs dad and sister moved out to Malaysia last year, I expect they're ok though as there weren't many deaths there. Don't really want to randomly text/call him asking if he knows anything. Seems a bit random/weird/over-reacting-ish. :frown:

Thanks, hope the people you know are ok too. :smile:

I know what you mean about the whole seeming like you're over-reacting thing though. We phoned up the guy's parents (who live in England) more or less as soon as we heard and they didn't seem to think it had affected those islands or that it was so big ... or something ... and you can't really say too much because it's awkward and you don't want to seem like you're over-reacting.
Reply 91
there was a short section after the news telling people how they could donate money, and it inspired me to donate a days wages....

The website for those wanting to donate money is:

www.dec.org.uk

all you need is a debit or credit card, and you can donate as much or as little as you like.
omg...the german teacher in school really is missing...he made the headline today in the local newspapers. and so is another teacher who i'll close to...he's supposed to ge married in thailand but no one can contact him yet...the deputy head is so worried...and my friend and i are simply frantic. omg...
Reply 93
It is really sad ,
I wish i am there to help
omg our drama teacher is fine. he's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but as for herr knoesel...he's still missing. we don't have much hope. the school just managed to contact his thai gf today but the chance is slim. but we'll all keep praying.
Reply 95
i can't stop thinking about this, it is everywhere. the news are sending extra at least every hour and the papers are full of it. yeasterday there were a couple of pages in the evening paper that was filled with photos of missing persons. when i had my dinner today the tv was on and they showed pictures from india, where there were people saying that they didn't have anything to eat, (among other things) i couldn't eat anymore after that. i feel so guilty.
Reply 96
Oh my god...just found out one of my friends thats out there had to run from it. He's fine now tho. I hope everybody else waiting for news gets the one they want to hear.
Reply 97
i got mad the other day...they showed GW Bush speaking about it and he said his thoughts went out to the locals effected by the earthquake and then spent the rest of the clip talking about how many americans were killed/missing/got home etc, also on local tv they were spending more time talking about people coming home and interviewing them...i keep thinking, (and i know its a bit cruel because many have been affected by it, losing family members too) that they can come home at the end of it, they have their house still and family members back home, some people living there have lost everything. :mad:
MattG
i got mad the other day...they showed GW Bush speaking about it and he said his thoughts went out to the locals effected by the earthquake and then spent the rest of the clip talking about how many americans were killed/missing/got home etc, also on local tv they were spending more time talking about people coming home and interviewing them...i keep thinking, (and i know its a bit cruel because many have been affected by it, losing family members too) that they can come home at the end of it, they have their house still and family members back home, some people living there have lost everything. :mad:

Very good point there, afraid thats just the sad truth. :frown:
MattG

yea i was watching CNN and they kept focusing on the surivivors...how they survivied and returned home safely instead of hoe applying the conditions in SE Asian countries are right now. I ended up getting more info about that from the local newspapers. i went out and bought every paper...both chinese and english...well also partly cos i wanted to see if there's more news on my teachers. herr knoesel was on every paper and the whole school is really worried. but what frustrates me is that whilst people are trying to get aid to the countries in need, some are stopped because countries are fighting amongst themselves and demanding aid first when their aid was on the way. it's ridiculous how at these times people still care so much about their civil wars and stuff. really saddens me to hear that.

Latest

Trending

Trending