What are your thoughts on therapists suggesting people break up with their partners?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you think this is okay? Do you think it's fair? Are therapists really getting the whole picture, and should they be allowed to suggest things like this?
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Invasive and unless the story reported is clearly one that is abusive it shouldn't be encouraged at all.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tashkent46)
Invasive and unless the story reported is clearly one that is abusive it shouldn't be encouraged at all.
What do you consider as abuse?
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What do you consider as abuse?
Emotional can be difficult to discern but say if I told a therapist I was being beaten, I don't think it would be wise for the therapist to say that is a healthy relationship. That seems clear cut to me. Emotional and mental while still abuse can be more tricky and a therapist has to be careful not to get the wrong end of the stick.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tashkent46)
Emotional can be difficult to discern but say if I told a therapist I was being beaten, I don't think it would be wise for the therapist to say that is a healthy relationship. That seems clear cut to me. Emotional and mental while still abuse can be more tricky and a therapist has to be careful not to get the wrong end of the stick.
I agree with that. When it comes to emotional/mental aspects, you wonder if what the client says is just his or her interpretation of a situation, but not necessarily accurate.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, I think that if you’re going to a therapist then you’re already willing to spill your heart and thoughts out for someone else to dissect, analyse and evaluate. In the same way that I expect my friends to give their opinions about how they feel about my SO, I’d expect for a therapist to weigh in on the healthiness of my relationship.

But in the end that’s all it is: an opinion. Sure a good friend will tell you they don’t think it’s healthy in the same way a therapist can, but neither have any power over your actions. A therapist just objectively provides they can give their own professional opinion based on What you’ve told them.

Also perhaps the fact that the topic of boyfriends was even brought up in the first place may indicate a subconscious concern someone might have that the therapist may have noticed idk just my opinion
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
has your therapist suggested you break up? i’ve seen maybe 10 therapists and no one tells you what to do. they just listen to you.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
has your therapist suggested you break up? i’ve seen maybe 10 therapists and no one tells you what to do. they just listen to you.
a good one does but there are some others, and people read into it sometimes I think, they think the therapist is endorsing a particular position when it's actually meant as a discussion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (7)
35%
No - I have already returned home (2)
10%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
30%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
5%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
20%

Watched Threads