The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help!

I’ve applied for broad bioscience/biology courses at many universities, but I’ve started to look at Sheffield specifically. Unlike other universities, there are specific degree titles and there doesn’t seem to be much flexibility for moving between courses (excerpt between molecular biology disciplines)

Would a broad ‘Biology’ personal statement be acceptable for a biomedical science course at Sheffield? Or biochemistry? I know that universities are aware of the constraints in writing a personal statement, but should I be more specific in my statement in order to secure a place at Sheffield?

Thanks for any advice :smile:
So, I am not sure of the exact competitiveness for the specified course at Sheffield.
However, my advise would be to write about a general statement but go in depth about one topic within the statement. Explore and show off your knowledge in a specific topic that has come off well and try to use any part/module of the course at sheffield as one of your deeply explored topics. That way you've covered the general topics for the other unis and Sheffield will be able to see how well you've explored something they especially teach about.

Hope that helps!
There are enough biochem/biomed courses that they will expect you to be talking about those subjects - a more generic biology PS wouldn't be recommended

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending