ABRSM grade 8 during a levels

Watch
tsalts0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I want to get the abrsm grade 8 certificate going into a level. I just wanted to know if it would be too much trying to practice for grade 8 while starting a level. I have already got a pass for grade 5 theory. Please can someone who's done grade 8 or has been through a level let me know? Thanks
*****deadness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What grade are you at now? I did Grade 6 piano in August 2018 and did Grade 8 a year after. I was also preparing for the 2 AS Maths exams in June and 5 GCSEs I was redoing in October. It was manageable as far as I remember, and I did like maybe 4 hours of practice a week. I only scraped a pass though, and failed 2 of my 3 pieces. If you want a good mark and want good A level grades too, be prepared to put in a lot of time and effort.
Moana92
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, that's fine. I did two instrumental grade 8s, a grade 7 and grade 8 theory all within 6 months or so while doing my A level year
GeolPhysics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did my grade 8 piano while studying for third year university. It was fine. I passed.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am now doing it too, while studying for A2 exams. We are in the same boat.
I was robbed last year because I was predicted to get the highest mark since 2013 in my music centre in grade 7 (no one got a distinction above grade 5 since 2013, and I am predicted to end the drought), but the exam got cancelled.
I have moved four of my A2 exams to January 2021, which pushed the last exam forward by six days. I will be doing 4 hours of practice each week, with gaps in January (2 weeks) and June (3 weeks) to focus on A2 exams. After June I will practice 6-7 hours a week.
janenlm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Im doing grade 5 in a few weeks and I'm so stressed does anyone have tips fro remembering scales?
mk_poii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 32 minutes ago
(Original post by janenlm)
Im doing grade 5 in a few weeks and I'm so stressed does anyone have tips fro remembering scales?
Fingering. A lot of the scales have the exact same fingerings. Also helps if you relate the scales in majors and minors that have the same notes eg: C maj = A natural minor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 16 minutes ago
(Original post by mk_poii)
Fingering. A lot of the scales have the exact same fingerings. Also helps if you relate the scales in majors and minors that have the same notes eg: C maj = A natural minor
I always played my scales and pieces with the wrong fingering xd, that's until I turn the fingerings to my password (but the account in concern was hacked soon and I changed the password again). It was like 23123412312341231234123123412.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads