The Student Room Group

Ba hons criminology&law

So I would like to become a barrister however I’m studying BA hons Criminology&law which has some exemptions for the qualifying law degree but not all.
I would Like to know what I can do after I get my degree to progress into becoming a barrister? as I would like to carry on with my current degree as I’m enjoying it.
It's best to check with a barrister yourself, but I think you can do a conversion law course at the end of your degree to make it a law degree. Then you will have the problem of securing a training contract with a barrister to get the year's training.
Original post by D19U
So I would like to become a barrister however I’m studying BA hons Criminology&law which has some exemptions for the qualifying law degree but not all.
I would Like to know what I can do after I get my degree to progress into becoming a barrister? as I would like to carry on with my current degree as I’m enjoying it.

Hey @D19U

Which uni are you studying at? Is you current course a four-year program and how long have you got left of your degree?

Have you looked at studying a postgrad in English law? You would need to check the exemptions as you already have some law modules and find out how many courses you would need to do to qualify in England. I'm currently doing the DPLP to qualify as a Solicitor in Scotland. I know that you need to do the Pupillage for 12 months to become a Barrister. The University of Law offers this course, have a look at their website and see where you would like to study as they offer the course at different campuses.

If you have any questions then I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by D19U

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister.html
Grizwuld is correct. Bra Council to remedy the missing parts of the degree, which should mean you only have to take part of the GDL and then the BPC. You can then attempt to follow the normal pupillage route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending