The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How much do your GCSE results affect your university application and success?

I achieved a C in maths, B in English although for sports psychology at Loughborough (a course I desire to take) they as for a B in math? Have I got any hope?

Loughborough would be my firm choice.
Original post by shania041001
I achieved a C in maths, B in English although for sports psychology at Loughborough (a course I desire to take) they as for a B in math? Have I got any hope?

Unis are generally not very flexible with GCSE requirements. I would recommend giving them a a call to see if you are likely to be considered at all.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Hi shania041001, it's great to hear you're interested in Sport and Exercise Psychology at Loughborough, we'd love to have you here! The great news is that we would consider applications from people who have achieved Grade 4/C or 5/C in GCSE Maths, however, you would need to have at least one science subject at A Level (Biology, chemistry, Physics or Maths) - (i'm keeping everything crossed that you are doing a science A Level?)

We may also consider applicants with a contextual indicator who have achieved Grade 5 in both GCSE Maths and GCSE English Language (or a grade 4 in one and a Grade 6 in the other). You can find out more about our Contextual Admissions Policy for further information.

Another option would be to re-take maths as we do consider applications from students who are retaking Maths to meet our requirements.

I really hope this helps you to find a route onto your chosen course. Feel free to ask any further questions and i'll do my best to help.

Good luck!
Bindu
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi shania041001, it's great to hear you're interested in Sport and Exercise Psychology at Loughborough, we'd love to have you here! The great news is that we would consider applications from people who have achieved Grade 4/C or 5/C in GCSE Maths, however, you would need to have at least one science subject at A Level (Biology, chemistry, Physics or Maths) - (i'm keeping everything crossed that you are doing a science A Level?)

We may also consider applicants with a contextual indicator who have achieved Grade 5 in both GCSE Maths and GCSE English Language (or a grade 4 in one and a Grade 6 in the other). You can find out more about our Contextual Admissions Policy for further information.

Another option would be to re-take maths as we do consider applications from students who are retaking Maths to meet our requirements.

I really hope this helps you to find a route onto your chosen course. Feel free to ask any further questions and i'll do my best to help.

Good luck!
Bindu

Hello, thank you for the quick reply! I'm taking Psychology, Physical Education and Business studies. Would psychology be considered as a science as I know in some Universities it is? Thank you.
Hello, thank you for the quick reply! I'm taking Psychology, Physical Education and Business studies. Would psychology be considered as a science as I know in some Universities it is? Thank you.

Hi, i'm afraid psychology wouldn't be considered as a science, sorry. You could always look into the contextual admission policy?
Reply 5
On a similar note I also want to apply for Sports Psychology at Loughborough and have all my GCSEs at grade 8 or 7 except English. I am diagnosed dyslexic a d got a grade 5 in English Language and a 6 in English Lit. Would that be enough to meet the English language grade 6 requirement for the course?
Original post by Jimmg
On a similar note I also want to apply for Sports Psychology at Loughborough and have all my GCSEs at grade 8 or 7 except English. I am diagnosed dyslexic a d got a grade 5 in English Language and a 6 in English Lit. Would that be enough to meet the English language grade 6 requirement for the course?

Hi Jimmg, I've sent you a private message :smile:

Regards
Bindu
Reply 7
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Jimmg, I've sent you a private message :smile:

Regards
Bindu

Hi Bindu, thank you very much for your message which I have received. I appreciate the advice which is really helpful and clear.
Regards
Jimmg
Original post by Jimmg
Hi Bindu, thank you very much for your message which I have received. I appreciate the advice which is really helpful and clear.
Regards
Jimmg

You're welcome Jimmg.
All the best,
Bindu.
Reply 9
Good day BinduI was wondering if you are still on this chat to answer some questions?I am very interested a business degree at Loughborough university. It would be my firm choice. I got all 7s and above at GCSE level, but a 5 for maths. I am taking Business Studies as an A level and have so far been predicated A. Would I be considered ? Regards
Hi @MSJJA,

That's great to hear you would like Loughborough to be your firm choice! Bindu is no longer in post so I have sent you a PM.

Ella :smile:
Reply 11
Afternoon Loughborough admissions
I previously queried on this chat about the necessity for a 6 in maths GCSE for entry into Loughborough for Business and Economics degree. You kindly replied, as per in Italics below. I wondered then, if a foundation course would be possible ? Or is my only option to retake GCSE maths?
Thanks

HI MSJJA,

I have been in touch with our Admissions Team and they have informed me that a Grade 6 in GCSE Maths is the minimum requirement for degree in our School of Business and Economics. Therefore they would recommend that you retake this GCSE if you wish to apply.

Hope this helps,
Ella
Original post by MSJJA
Afternoon Loughborough admissions
I previously queried on this chat about the necessity for a 6 in maths GCSE for entry into Loughborough for Business and Economics degree. You kindly replied, as per in Italics below. I wondered then, if a foundation course would be possible ? Or is my only option to retake GCSE maths?
Thanks

HI MSJJA,

I have been in touch with our Admissions Team and they have informed me that a Grade 6 in GCSE Maths is the minimum requirement for degree in our School of Business and Economics. Therefore they would recommend that you retake this GCSE if you wish to apply.

Hope this helps,
Ella

Hi @MSJJA,

I have sent your a PM.

Thanks,
Ella
I’m interested in Bsc Management. The course requirements are grade 6/B in Maths and English language and A Level at AAB. My overall GCSE profile is 9888766655 and I’m on track to achieve A*A*B (Psychology, Sociology, Geography). I achieved a 5 at Maths GCSE and a 7 in English Language. Would my application still be considered or is that an automatic rejection? : (
@Loughborough University
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
I’m interested in Bsc Management. The course requirements are grade 6/B in Maths and English language and A Level at AAB. My overall GCSE profile is 9888766655 and I’m on track to achieve A*A*B (Psychology, Sociology, Geography). I achieved a 5 at Maths GCSE and a 7 in English Language. Would my application still be considered or is that an automatic rejection? : (
@Loughborough University

The rep hasn't been online for a few months so you might be best off emailing. But yes, generally missing the GCSE requirement is an automatic rejection or there would be the expectation for you to resit. (or sit another test etc. it probably wouldn't just be waived)

Post #12 seems to give you an answer, unless their policy has changed since last cycle.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
The rep hasn't been online for a few months so you might be best off emailing. But yes, generally missing the GCSE requirement is an automatic rejection or there would be the expectation for you to resit. (or sit another test etc. it probably wouldn't just be waived)

Post #12 seems to give you an answer, unless their policy has changed since last cycle.

Yeah I figured. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending