o_reo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am thinking of applying to the data science degree at lse
While furthermaths isn't a necessity for this degree it says that it is "highly desirable"

Is there any point in applying if I dont take furthermaths as I will likely be competing with people who do take furthermaths so I will probably be disadvantaged.
What do you think?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's a new course, but given the same language is used to describe further maths in relation to it's flagship economics course (where 85-95% of successful applicants will be taking FM), I think it may be a long shot to say the least. If your school didn't offer FM then you could apply and have your referee note that in your reference however, which might not be held against you. I think if it was available to you and you didn't take it you would be at a disadvantage though.
o_reo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's a new course, but given the same language is used to describe further maths in relation to it's flagship economics course (where 85-95% of successful applicants will be taking FM), I think it may be a long shot to say the least. If your school didn't offer FM then you could apply and have your referee note that in your reference however, which might not be held against you. I think if it was available to you and you didn't take it you would be at a disadvantage though.
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing
if I perhaps mentioned that I recognised the desirability of furthermaths too late and then did my own learning of furthermaths would that give me a better chance? or should I just not bother?
ayeshasam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by m.s124)
While furthermaths isn't a necessity for this degree it says that it is "highly desirable"

Is there any point in applying if I dont take furthermaths as I will likely be competing with people who do take furthermaths so I will probably be disadvantaged.
What do you think?
I was also checking out this degree. Yeah I think sadly you might be disadvantaged, just like when I was talking to the guys at imperial when the say further maths is highly desirable they basically mean it would be a necessary subject if every school in the country could offer it. However , if you do really like the course try to show your passion for the course and especially your strong maths skills through your PS consider applying. My school offered FM but it was too late when I realised I would need it so if you can take it try to take it.
Last edited by ayeshasam; 3 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing
if I perhaps mentioned that I recognised the desirability of furthermaths too late and then did my own learning of furthermaths would that give me a better chance? or should I just not bother?
I think just not bother, honestly :/ if you really want to apply to it then maybe look instead to take a gap year and do FM during that gap year. Alternately if it is not too late to take up the AS level in FM this year then that might also be a good indicator. Just saying that you've self studied it doesn't really demonstrate to them that you can do that maths though.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago

What do you think?
Really, just call and ask them if you want a definitive answer. For my situation in the same course I called and asked them that my school offered FM but due to administrative issues they were not able to give me a place in the class. Especially since I requested to join 2 weeks into the first A Level year. The admissions agent on the phone mentioned that it would not be held against me and asked me to ensure that my referee had mentioned it. If you however have no such circumstance, you could ask them what you can do to make up for this. Maybe they will tell you to demonstrate the ability for certain topics in maths through your PS.

All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (157)
60.38%
I don't have everything I need (103)
39.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed