Personal Statement (no experience)

Watch
pixelated19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys, i’m thinking of applying for diagnostic radiography but i have no experience or volunteering. i come from a family where none of the adults went to university so i wasn’t aware of the pre reading/extra work you had to do to apply! the example statements i’ve seen all include mass amounts of volunteering and i’m currently panicking as my school want the statements done by october 15th.
what do i add to make myself look like a viable candidate? will including my part time job add anything special? will reading be a sufficient replacement? should i include my plans to get work experience in the near future?

any help would be great! thanks
nottshistpol1821
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unis want to know about more than only directly relevant experience- they want to know about how your skills and personality make you a good candidate too. Having a part-time job means you can talk about the skills you've developed, with examples- e.g. have you had to deal with all different kinds of people (which I assume a radiographer has to), manage your time (i.e. coming to work on time, fitting all your tasks into your shift) etc. Reading is also really good to include as it proves you've got an interest in the subject. And yes if you have plans for work experience in the future make sure you show how excited you are to do that! Obviously Covid has meant that a lot of experience plans have been put on hold so this year I imagine they'll be pretty understanding.

I hope that helps- I know nothing about radiography but did write a PS and get into uni lol.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Obviously this period of time is rather different with experience... You would be better off asking in the Healthcare forum what your options are to still show yourself as a good candidate https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71
pixelated19
Rep:
?
(Original post by nottshistpol1821)
Unis want to know about more than only directly relevant experience- they want to know about how your skills and personality make you a good candidate too. Having a part-time job means you can talk about the skills you've developed, with examples- e.g. have you had to deal with all different kinds of people (which I assume a radiographer has to), manage your time (i.e. coming to work on time, fitting all your tasks into your shift) etc. Reading is also really good to include as it proves you've got an interest in the subject. And yes if you have plans for work experience in the future make sure you show how excited you are to do that! Obviously Covid has meant that a lot of experience plans have been put on hold so this year I imagine they'll be pretty understanding.

I hope that helps- I know nothing about radiography but did write a PS and get into uni lol.
ahhh thank you so much! the examples really help me to gage where to start with part time work ☺️ i’m just trying to fit this all into 400 ish words now. would naming one book and a few websites i’ve been keeping track of be adequate or do i need to go into what i learnt from them as i’m not sure i have enough words. also do you think it would be too cliche and common to mention covid as i know a lot of people will mention it 😭 i want to directly relate it to radiography since x rays etc were used across the world to measure the severity of the cases
hyucksmiles-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im also working on my personal statement for diagnostic radiography with no experience omg!! i hope it goes well for the both of us
pixelated19
Rep:
?
(Original post by hyucksmiles-)
im also working on my personal statement for diagnostic radiography with no experience omg!! i hope it goes well for the both of us
ahhhh omg good luck!! it took me so long to find something i was interested in and now i’m so excited to finally have a subject settled i’ve decided to include radiology webinars (radiography ones are difficult to find) and referenced some reading so hopefully that covers the work experience! which universities were you thinking of applying to
graceelizabeth0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pixelated19)
hey guys, i’m thinking of applying for diagnostic radiography but i have no experience or volunteering. i come from a family where none of the adults went to university so i wasn’t aware of the pre reading/extra work you had to do to apply! the example statements i’ve seen all include mass amounts of volunteering and i’m currently panicking as my school want the statements done by october 15th.
what do i add to make myself look like a viable candidate? will including my part time job add anything special? will reading be a sufficient replacement? should i include my plans to get work experience in the near future?

any help would be great! thanks
I decided in the second year of sixth form I wanted to study nursing at uni and I had no experience whatsoever and studied no relevant subjects (other than half of a health and social btec lol). This was the final year of when there was the bursary for nursing so it was extra competitive. Still managed to spin my personal statement around to get offers. If you can show a genuine passion, and that you are determined and willing to go the extra mile then anything is possible!
Include anything which shows these traits and you can do it! Explain why you want to study the subject, why you think you would be good at it and what you hope to achieve from studying it post-uni. Show examples of how you have displayed the qualities required previously. You can do anything you set your mind to if it is a passion of yours and you can convey it! Plus if you can convince them you will succeed on your course and achieve!
pixelated19
Rep:
?
(Original post by graceelizabeth0)
I decided in the second year of sixth form I wanted to study nursing at uni and I had no experience whatsoever and studied no relevant subjects (other than half of a health and social btec lol). This was the final year of when there was the bursary for nursing so it was extra competitive. Still managed to spin my personal statement around to get offers. If you can show a genuine passion, and that you are determined and willing to go the extra mile then anything is possible!
Include anything which shows these traits and you can do it! Explain why you want to study the subject, why you think you would be good at it and what you hope to achieve from studying it post-uni. Show examples of how you have displayed the qualities required previously. You can do anything you set your mind to if it is a passion of yours and you can convey it! Plus if you can convince them you will succeed on your course and achieve!
ahh my cousin was in a super similar situation and it went really well for her too! thanks for the advice
nottshistpol1821
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ahhh thank you so much! the examples really help me to gage where to start with part time work ☺️ i’m just trying to fit this all into 400 ish words now. would naming one book and a few websites i’ve been keeping track of be adequate or do i need to go into what i learnt from them as i’m not sure i have enough words. also do you think it would be too cliche and common to mention covid as i know a lot of people will mention it 😭 i want to directly relate it to radiography since x rays etc were used across the world to measure the severity of the cases
That sounds good to me- I think you're right that a lot of people would talk about Covid but because you've got a specific reason that its made you more interested in diagnostic radiography I think it sounds great! (Obviously healthcare people probably know more than me lol)
hyucksmiles-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ahhhh omg good luck!! it took me so long to find something i was interested in and now i’m so excited to finally have a subject settled i’ve decided to include radiology webinars (radiography ones are difficult to find) and referenced some reading so hopefully that covers the work experience! which universities were you thinking of applying to
sorry for the late reply!! also same i struggled so much figuring out what i wanted to do aaaaa also im applying to city uni , london south bank and st georges... i think im not very sure wbu?
pixelated19
Rep:
?
(Original post by hyucksmiles-)
sorry for the late reply!! also same i struggled so much figuring out what i wanted to do aaaaa also im applying to city uni , london south bank and st georges... i think im not very sure wbu?
i literally had the same options! i’ve also put down brighton as it’s closer to me and portsmouth if i decide to live out. st. george’s is my preference atm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads